28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Greetings,

I'm planning on visiting my spouse in Canada for Christmas. I haven't booked my flight yet, and they're currently in the $800 RT range (with layover, direct is $900+). I've never traveled during the Christmas time before. I know flight prices change daily, sometimes multiple times per day. Those of you who have traveled during this season, at this point, should I bite the bullet and buy whatever I can get, or is there any chance the airlines will lower prices closer to Christmas? They probably realize people will feel like they have no choice, so there's really no need for them to try and lower ticket prices to be competitive, but that's just my hunch. The fares I'm looking at cost the exact same (even to the dollar) through Orbitz, Expedia, Cheapoair, etc.

Please advise.

Thanks!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I haven't flown in a long time but, when I was coming back and forth a lot, it seemed that prices hit their lowest point just about 3 weeks prior to your fly date. Also, Christmas Day seems always to be the cheapest day to fly over the Holidays because, by then, people normally want to already be where they're going.

Also, if you're flying in from the States, look for fares to US destinations close to the border and then drive into Canada, rather than flying directly into Canada . . . for example, if you're going to visit Ontario, fly into Buffalo and then drive over the border. We always found it was substantially more expensive to fly from the States directly to a Canadian destination.

Hope that helps, and Happy Holidays with your loved ones.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
my hubby has travelled twice to visit me for christmas and the prices kept going up and up and up. the good flights got booked up and he could not get direct, he could not get the time he wanted to come for and so on.so he bought the ticket. but here is what we did! he had enough miles to cover his trip to me and all he paid was his trip back. so it came up to 550 one way CAD instead of 900-1000 CAD two way. i dont think there is anyway you can escape it. the same happened when we went to europe. we barely had enough mney and we had to wait and wait to the last moment (last 3 days before intended flight) and we looked at the ticket prices for 2 months before and we saw how it rised but we did not have enough money until the very last! so i estimate by waiting we paid i think for three people instead of two! now you are probably wondering why not credit card, but it was maxed out from our wedding in May. and we had to go to his sisters wedding in june.

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm visiting my spouse in Edmonton, Alberta, so I'm not sure where I could fly to domestically, to then drive up? My options would probably be Seattle, Spokane, or Billings, Montana. I believe from any of those places, it'd be at least another 10+ hour drive, and I already know the border people are going to give me a rough time. If they see me crossing the border in a rental car, that won't look shady at all. /sarcasm. :(

I don't have enough miles for a flight, and wish I could use what miles I have, to lower the cost. I don't think you can mix points with money, however, when it comes to rewards programs (specifically Aeroplan).

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
It'd be rare for pre-christmas flight prices to drop at this stage in the game... Flying on Xmas day will likely be your best bet to reduce costs... If that's not an option, I'd personally bite the bullet and take what I could get now because flights can sell out and leave one with even less (pricier) options...

Good luck!

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Pharoh said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm visiting my spouse in Edmonton, Alberta, so I'm not sure where I could fly to domestically, to then drive up? My options would probably be Seattle, Spokane, or Billings, Montana. I believe from any of those places, it'd be at least another 10+ hour drive, and I already know the border people are going to give me a rough time. If they see me crossing the border in a rental car, that won't look shady at all. /sarcasm. :(

I don't have enough miles for a flight, and wish I could use what miles I have, to lower the cost. I don't think you can mix points with money, however, when it comes to rewards programs (specifically Aeroplan).
Where are you flying from? and what dates are you looking for?

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
adzees said:
Where are you flying from? and what dates are you looking for?
Chicago - Dec 22 - Jan 4.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Pharoh said:
Chicago - Dec 22 - Jan 4.
I would try changing the dates you leave and come back to see if you can get a better price, but it is doubtful. I was looking for a flight from Edmonton to Grand Rapids Mi return and everything was showing 900-1200+. I changed my leaving date and found one for 585. Of course this is not over Christmas but leaving and returning before Christmas but it is worth looking in to.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Fly in to calgary... you can get a flight in to YYC for just over 500 through expedia

R

robrod

Those are premium travel dates.. same thing for me as I'm flying to Mexico City from Toronto, but mine was lower since I booked it 2 weeks ago... I'd say bite the bullet if you can afford it and take what they have now. Then again, price could drop but then again, price could go up or worse, sold-out flights as it seems to be the norm now that the airlines downsized planes and capacity to avoid losing more money...

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions.

It's amazing, I found flights for $600 leaving at 6AM on December 23. They have one layover in Denver, but other than that, by switching from 8PM on 10/22 to 6AM on 10/23, I save $250... it makes no sense, but whatever.

R

robrod

Must be for the inconvenience of making people head to the airport around 3 am... good savings though, it always pays off to play with the dates and hours... I had a red-eye flight originally via Montreal but decided to bite the bullet and fly direct instead and on business class, astronomical fare it ended up being, so much for my original "savings"... I have our baby flying with me, so I'm sure she'd appreciate the extra-comfort...
Bon Voyage!.

mmhughes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
File Transfer...
17-11-2010
Med's Done....
23-08-2010
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
As you probably know Christmas time is one of the most expensive times to travel. However, I don't know how important it is for you to be here by the 25th, but I have noticed that if you travel either on the 25th or the 26th of December the prices drop. They then rise again the beginning of January, but by mid-Jan they go back down again. I would check out Air Transat as they are the cheapest airline around for flight to and from Canada. http://www.airtransat.ca/en/Home.aspx

Bonne Chance!