+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Child Benefits for Child Abroad

Mordred

Nov 15, 2012
Hello,

I have a 2 & 1/2 yr old daughter born abroad. She still lives abroad because am in the process of sponsoring her mother. She tried to get a TRV to come visit but got denied so my daughter cannot come yet. I am Canadian & every year I go to be with my wife & daughter for at least 3 months at a time - bu otherwise I live in Canada.
My questions - is my daughter eligible for child benefits since she (& the mother) are entirely dependent on me for financial support?
- Since every year since she was born, she lived with me (outside Canada) for at least 3 months, does that qualify as shared custody? Please help - I pay taxes but miss out on the benefits & the financial strain is killing me!! :'(

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Mordred said:
Hello,

I have a 2 & 1/2 yr old daughter born abroad. She still lives abroad because am in the process of sponsoring her mother. She tried to get a TRV to come visit but got denied so my daughter cannot come yet. I am Canadian & every year I go to be with my wife & daughter for at least 3 months at a time - bu otherwise I live in Canada.
My questions - is my daughter eligible for child benefits since she (& the mother) are entirely dependent on me for financial support?
- Since every year since she was born, she lived with me (outside Canada) for at least 3 months, does that qualify as shared custody? Please help - I pay taxes but miss out on the benefits & the financial strain is killing me!! :'(
No , the child has to be in Canada.

saddle

Apr 13, 2024
So if the child come to Canada, that means the benefit will cover from the time the child was born. Retroactively for 11 years assuming the child is 14 years old now. Right?

• Haha
Reactions: YVR123 and foodie69

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
So if the child come to Canada, that means the benefit will cover from the time the child was born. Retroactively for 11 years assuming the child is 14 years old now. Right?
Sorry, but that's an absurd suggestion.

I would expect, for one of many considerations, that the amount of the benefit is based on the cost of raising the child in Canada. I can think of some countries where the benefit would exceed the income of the average worker. Should Canadian taxpayers be expected to pay for all those years during which the child had no connection to Canada, apart from having one parent living here most of the year?

Reactions: YVR123 and foodie69