+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Background declaration (imm0008) >> Point 9 >> previously sought refugee

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
My background
I came to canada last year with my wife. We both came after applying for work permit ( Temporary Resident Visa ) . Currently , We are working in canada and applying for Permanent resident in few days. However I would like to understand significance of below question.

Form Id imm0008_1e.pdf
Form Name - Backgroud declaration
Item - Point 9 > bullet 2
- previously sought refugee status in Canada or applied for a Canadian immigrant or permanent residence visa or visitor or temporary resident visa?
According to me this question asks if you have ever APPLIED for any type of immigration status for Canada, NOT whether or not you received it. But does not say anything explicitly about it . So overall i am confused about it.

Should I tick "Yes" . If I tick Yes what kind of details do I need to provide ?

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lrow said:
My background
I came to canada last year with my wife. We both came after applying for work permit ( Temporary Resident Visa ) . Currently , We are working in canada and applying for Permanent resident in few days. However I would like to understand significance of below question.

Form Id imm0008_1e.pdf
Form Name - Backgroud declaration
Item - Point 9 > bullet 2
- previously sought refugee status in Canada or applied for a Canadian immigrant or permanent residence visa or visitor or temporary resident visa? :
According to me this question asks if you have ever APPLIED for any type of immigration status for Canada, NOT whether or not you received it. - - YES-
But does not say anything explicitly about it . So overall i am confused about it.

Should I tick "Yes" . If I tick Yes what kind of details do I need to provide ?

Note: That a refugee is a person who, owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted on account of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion, is outside the country of their nationality, and is unable to or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail him/herself of the protection of that country.
1) In other words, seeking refuge means whether you applied for e.g Asylum. And, this was either granted or denied.

2)According to me this question asks if you have ever APPLIED for any type of immigration status for Canada, NOT whether or not you received it. - - YES-

That is what that question is all about.

Hope this helps.

BobbyB

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi BobbyB,

Thanks for fast response .

However, after breaking the question I read this question like this

9.2.1 - previously sought refugee status in Canada ?

OR

9.2.2. - applied for a Canadian immigrant or permanent residence visa or visitor or temporary resident visa?

I understood You for part 9.2.1 . However, dont you think that 9.2.2 is very generic.
please note that the connecter between these two is OR & NOT "AND"

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lrow said:
Hi BobbyB,

OR

9.2.2. - applied for a Canadian immigrant or permanent residence visa or visitor or temporary resident visa?

I understood You for part 9.2.1 . However, dont you think that 9.2.2 is very generic.
You are really over thinking this. You mark yes, and then state that you were issued a work permit.

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi PMM ,

Thanks . Thats what I am going to do .

But overall having a point like this within this block is very confusing for two reasons I feel .

1] They would get clear information on my work permit through other forms which I have filled.
2] The other information bullets have very different category than this one . As in rejection cases, denial at port entry cases etc.

cheers

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lrow said:
Hi BobbyB,

OR

9.2.2. - applied for a Canadian immigrant or permanent residence visa or visitor or temporary resident visa? -YES, and the follow PMM's instructions.

smiling face

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CANADIAN EMBASSY MANILA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 5, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 12, 2010
Nomination.....
September 8, 2010
AOR Received.
November 2, 2010
Med's Request
May 9, 2011
Med's Done....
May 19, 2011 and May 26, 2011
Passport Req..
waiting
Hello everyone, I also got confused on my answer. Since I already submitted my package of Application for permanent resident (under provincial nominee-employer driven stream category).

But after reviewing my photocopy of those form I dont know if my answer "NO" in the question number 9 on the second bullet (Schedule 1) was correct, since I am here in Alberta since 2008 granting me a working visa stamped in my home country, so definitely i already got a temporary resident in that matter.

I have a friend who also answer "NO" on that category but he was already approved and issued a permanent resident.

My question now is "am i going to have a problem if my answer in that column is not correct, or can i submit again the first page of Schedule 1 with explanation letter why I answer "NO" instead of "YES". Please give me some advice.....THANK YOU SO MUCH!

tshabanah

Star Member
May 18, 2010
Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
02,08, 2010 (finger prints from Canada)
Nomination.....
NA
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waiting
Re: Canada Background declaration (imm0008) >> Point 9 >> previously sought ref

Hi guys,
You should not answer yes as you did not applied for any thing before then rejected.
So say NO
I did that in my application and it is going OK till now and I am waiting for my medicals request.
I have been advised buy previous applicants to answer no
All my best
Ali Shabanah