+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you apply for citizenship on a expired Pr Card?

zh56

Dec 10, 2009
Pr card expired 7 months ago, Can one apply for the citizenship rather than appling for a new PR?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, there is no requirement to have a valid PR card. If I remember correctly, the instructions state that you have to attach a copy of your PR card if you have one. I would attach a copy of your expired card just in case and tell them you don't have a valid one.

zh56 said:
Pr card expired 7 months ago, Can one apply for the citizenship rather than appling for a new PR?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. Your PR status can not be in question when applying for citizenship but your PR status has nothing to do with having a valid PR card.

However, be advised that processing citizenship can a year or more, my own actually took 2 and a half, so without a PR card, you will not be travelling anywhere during this time. If you think you may need to travel for the next year or even if you don't, the situation might come up that you do, you can apply to renew your PR card and apply for citizenship. I actually applied to renew my PR card during the time my citizenship application was being processed and it did not complicate anything.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with Leon. I would apply for citizenship as well as a new PR card ASAP.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
just wonder why it takes so long to get a Canadian citizenship? what do they do during those 2.5 years of waiting?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It usually takes a bit over a year: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

One thing that I believe slows down citizenship applications is that while for PR applicants they only do security screenings where their background is of concern, they do it for every citizenship applicant.

Suin said:
just wonder why it takes so long to get a Canadian citizenship? what do they do during those 2.5 years of waiting?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
I have never heard about anybody other than myself waiting so long for it and I have really no idea why. I wasn't in in a hurry to get it so I never asked about it. I suspect that my file fell behind a cabinet and was found during spring cleaning a year later. When I applied, I got the AOR pretty shortly afterwards but then I never heard from them until over 2 years later when they asked me to appear for the test. I have also heard of people getting it much faster, in like 8 months but I think the average is around 13 months.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does the location you applied from affect how long it takes? Is there a way to know processing time by location??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My application was listed as having been transferred to the local office on the same day I was sent the letter to appear for the test so if that is true, it was not delayed by the local office at all in which case the location should not really matter.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Karlshammar said:
It usually takes a bit over a year: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

One thing that I believe slows down citizenship applications is that while for PR applicants they only do security screenings where their background is of concern, they do it for every citizenship applicant.
as I understand they are making background checks in each country the applicant lived? is it possible just to give them the police certificate or they do not ask for it?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
Leon said:
I have never heard about anybody other than myself waiting so long for it and I have really no idea why. I wasn't in in a hurry to get it so I never asked about it. I suspect that my file fell behind a cabinet and was found during spring cleaning a year later. When I applied, I got the AOR pretty shortly afterwards but then I never heard from them until over 2 years later when they asked me to appear for the test. I have also heard of people getting it much faster, in like 8 months but I think the average is around 13 months.
that was a really long time for you, Leon. I can imagine what a special event it was for you when you finally got it approved!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, they don't ask for police certificates. I don't think it would make a difference if you sent them in with your application.

Suin said:
as I understand they are making background checks in each country the applicant lived? is it possible just to give them the police certificate or they do not ask for it?

stevegalante

Jul 3, 2016
Hello, sorry to reup this old topic...
I have my PR card expiring next Feb 2017, and I want to apply for Citizenship,
but I'll meet all the requirements only on next Oct 2016, which means my PR card will probably expire
before I'll get the Citizenship.
Will this be a problem ?
Thank you

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
stevegalante said:
Hello, sorry to reup this old topic...
I have my PR card expiring next Feb 2017, and I want to apply for Citizenship,
but I'll meet all the requirements only on next Oct 2016, which means my PR card will probably expire
before I'll get the Citizenship.
Will this be a problem ?
Thank you
Not at all

expire PR card will allow you to stay in Canada and you can apply citizenship

but if you have plan to travel you must apply for renew