+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Wife sponsor a child who has expired PR

reikiprince

Apr 28, 2015
I landed in Canada with my wife and child on July 4, 2014 and all of us got PR cards with a printed expiry date of Sep 2019.

My questions are:

1) Suppose my PR card and my child's PR card expires in 5 years i.e. 2019 and we have not stayed 730 days but my wife manages to meet the residency requirement by staying for a few months every year. Will my wife then after renewing her PR card in 2019 be able sponsor a new PR Card from scratch for her husband i.e. me and her child of 7 years even if she has no income in Canada and survives on the money remitted by me to her every month but she will not be on welfare. So what i mean to say is even if mine and my child's PR card expires; can she file a fresh PR card sponsorship under family category for both of us in the later years if she is meeting her residency every year. Is that possible even if she has no income?

Regards

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
reikiprince said:
I landed in Canada with my wife and child on July 4, 2014 and all of us got PR cards with a printed expiry date of Sep 2019.

My questions are:

1) Suppose my PR card and my child's PR card expires in 5 years i.e. 2019 and we have not stayed 730 days but my wife manages to meet the residency requirement by staying for a few months every year.

Then she can renew her PR

If you and your child can enter before september 2017 you have 2 years until your pr expires then you both can also renew your pr cards

If not as you near the expiry date you may be warned about not meeting Residency obligation and some times get a removal order.Any PR's status wont expire but only pr card expires. If you want to renounce your and your childs pr then it may be (im not sure) difficult for her to sponsor you and child.

cic says they may not guarantee even a visit visa after renouncement. Dont think if pr card expiry is end of road. if you can manage to sneak in before its expiry in sep 2019 with out reporting you can stay for 2 years and apply for pr renewal.
Will my wife then after renewing her PR card in 2019 be able sponsor a new PR Card from scratch for her husband i.e. me and her child of 7 years even if she has no income in Canada and survives on the money remitted by me to her every month but she will not be on welfare. So what i mean to say is even if mine and my child's PR card expires; can she file a fresh PR card sponsorship under family category for both of us in the later years if she is meeting her residency every year. Is that possible even if she has no income?

Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
reikiprince said:

My questions are:

1) Suppose my PR card and my child's PR card expires in 5 years i.e. 2019 and we have not stayed 730 days but my wife manages to meet the residency requirement by staying for a few months every year. Will my wife then after renewing her PR card in 2019 be able sponsor a new PR Card from scratch for her husband i.e. me and her child of 7 years even if she has no income in Canada and survives on the money remitted by me to her every month but she will not be on welfare. So what i mean to say is even if mine and my child's PR card expires; can she file a fresh PR card sponsorship under family category for both of us in the later years if she is meeting her residency every year. Is that possible even if she has no income?

Regards
Yes, she can. There is no malice from immigration if you lost your PR over not meeting the RO that you get sponsored again. Your wife should show that you will not end up on welfare and if she claims that you are the one who works and she has never been on welfare before, they have no reason to think that you will be in the future. She needs to be living in Canada in order to sponsor you and she needs to remain in Canada for the most part during the processing time.

In order to get sponsored, you would have to officially lose your PR first. This can happen if 1) you renounce it based on that you don't meet the RO, 2) wait until it expires, then apply for a PRTD where you don't meet the RO or 3) if you get reported on entry or renounce on entry because you don't meet the RO. However, if you don't intend to move to Canada with your new PR and want to continue to live outside, it would be smarter for you to get your wife to get citizenship. Your PR and your childs PR are protected if you reside with a Canadian citizen spouse / parent outside Canada.