+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we move after Citizenship Test and Interview day?

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
Hello Forum,

If I pass the test and interview coming up, and they tell me when the oath date will be, can I move somewhere else within Canada while I wait, and simply update my address on CIC website without issues? I ask this because I have an employment opportunity in Ontario through a good friend of mine. Would it delay anything badly? Create any potential issues? I just wish to know before I make a sudden jump and leave Montreal, Quebec. I also, don't want to lose this employment opportunity obviously. Thanks! ;D

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
It is an interesting situation I am not qualified with an answer on this but just placing my thoughts. Your local office right now is Montreal you do your test and Interview there and if all goes well they will do a last review of your file and mark it with Decision Made. At this point basically your file should be in a pile waiting for the local office to schedule for Oath. Now after your test if you change your address either via CIC Call Center or online, they will then need to move your file from Montreal to an office close to your new address which could take time, then depending on how that office performs your file goes to their pile waiting Oath. To me at least it sounds like it will delay things, if you go to Ontario for this opportunity do you have someone who can monitor your mail at your Montreal address? You will have come back to the Montreal Office for Oath once you get the pinky.

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
samreentariq said:
It is an interesting situation I am not qualified with an answer on this but just placing my thoughts. Your local office right now is Montreal you do your test and Interview there and if all goes well they will do a last review of your file and mark it with Decision Made. At this point basically your file should be in a pile waiting for the local office to schedule for Oath. Now after your test if you change your address either via CIC Call Center or online, they will then need to move your file from Montreal to an office close to your new address which could take time, then depending on how that office performs your file goes to their pile waiting Oath. To me at least it sounds like it will delay things, if you go to Ontario for this opportunity do you have someone who can monitor your mail at your Montreal address? You will have come back to the Montreal Office for Oath once you get the pinky.
I don't have anyone that can monitor my Montreal address mailbox unfortunately. There must be a way around this, I really don't want to lose this opportunity.

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
I would say if you do not want to lose this opportunity then after you move and have a new address even if it is a friend's place call the CIC call center and change your address so all mail is forwarded to the new address.

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
samreentariq said:
I would say if you do not want to lose this opportunity then after you move and have a new address even if it is a friend's place call the CIC call center and change your address so all mail is forwarded to the new address.
I wouldn't get in trouble if I have my mailing address as a friends here in Montreal, yet I would be relocating in Ontario for the employment? I'm so confused by this issue....Do we know anyone that can double check the info on my particular problem? I tried googling this, and failed to find anything.

susann

Star Member
Mar 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
NOC Code......
0111 / 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2009
Doc's Request.
august 2009
AOR Received.
january 2010
Med's Request
march 2010
Med's Done....
march 2010
Passport Req..
april 2010
VISA ISSUED...
mai 2010
Why would you risk anything with giving CIC an address where you are not living? You do not want to change or give any information regarding your move to the government or official registry (SIN, drivers license, health care …) since you have you oath?

You are moving within Canada for a new job and you are not leaving the country. I think that will not be an issue, because it is a kind of normal that the people move within Canada.

I would recommend you take the opportunity and change your address to the new one in Ontario. What could but does not mean it will happened is that you get the oath a little bit later than you would get in Montreal. I do not understand what issue this will cause on your end when you become a citizen lets say 2 month later?

If you can explain why getting the citizen later is an issue and why you would like to spend a lot of money to return to Montreal for the oath, we might understand the whole issue better and could give you a better recommendation.

Maple_tree15

Star Member
Mar 10, 2015
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
08-09-2011
Anthony_nyc said:
I don't have anyone that can monitor my Montreal address mailbox unfortunately. There must be a way around this, I really don't want to lose this opportunity.
I would suggest forwarding your mail. Here is a link with further details.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/products/details.page?article=forward_your_mail_wh

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
susann said:
Why would you risk anything with giving CIC an address where you are not living? You do not want to change or give any information regarding your move to the government or official registry (SIN, drivers license, health care ...) since you have you oath?

You are moving within Canada for a new job and you are not leaving the country. I think that will not be an issue, because it is a kind of normal that the people move within Canada.

I would recommend you take the opportunity and change your address to the new one in Ontario. What could but does not mean it will happened is that you get the oath a little bit later than you would get in Montreal. I do not understand what issue this will cause on your end when you become a citizen lets say 2 month later?

If you can explain why getting the citizen later is an issue and why you would like to spend a lot of money to return to Montreal for the oath, we might understand the whole issue better and could give you a better recommendation.
To put it simply, I'm not happy being in Quebec at this point. It's finally begun effecting my mental and emotional health. My depression continues to grow more and more, and I can't handle it here for it's anti-English political hatred towards me and many immigrants in general, among other issues by the French going on right now. Luckily I expressed this to one of my closest Ontario friends, and he worked on getting a job offer for me in the company he works in. I would have a place to move to and everything. It would be a great opportunity for a healthier life change I desperately need. This is why I want to leave Quebec. I have been here since I landed here as a permanent resident, and now it's to move on to healthier place. So I don't know what to truly do at this point. I took my test and interview October 1st. I passed the test with a high mark, but I don't feel my interview went well honestly. I was sponsored here by my ex-wife, she had an affair with another man. When I landed here legally as a PR I stayed with my friend and his family for 4 weeks for emotional support, before going to Montreal where my entire process began as PR. I never left Canada since landing, and that looked weird to the Citizenship Officer during interview. I'm just so confused by all of this now. I feel like I'm going to get rejected for Citizenship and/or going to just get an RQ waiting years, then just rejected Citizenship anyways.....sorry, I', just so depressed, emotionally and mentally out of it at this point....

IllaBee

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anthony_nyc said:
To put it simply, I'm not happy being in Quebec at this point. It's finally begun effecting my mental and emotional health. My depression continues to grow more and more, and I can't handle it here for it's anti-English political hatred towards me and many immigrants in general, among other issues by the French going on right now. Luckily I expressed this to one of my closest Ontario friends, and he worked on getting a job offer for me in the company he works in. I would have a place to move to and everything. It would be a great opportunity for a healthier life change I desperately need. This is why I want to leave Quebec. I have been here since I landed here as a permanent resident, and now it's to move on to healthier place. So I don't know what to truly do at this point. I took my test and interview October 1st. I passed the test with a high mark, but I don't feel my interview went well honestly. I was sponsored here by my ex-wife, she had an affair with another man. When I landed here legally as a PR I stayed with my friend and his family for 4 weeks for emotional support, before going to Montreal where my entire process began as PR. I never left Canada since landing, and that looked weird to the Citizenship Officer during interview. I'm just so confused by all of this now. I feel like I'm going to get rejected for Citizenship and/or going to just get an RQ waiting years, then just rejected Citizenship anyways.....sorry, I', just so depressed, emotionally and mentally out of it at this point....
You may need help...as in, counseling. People move within Canada all the time and the only sad part in your case is, you can not wait for a few months in the same place until you do your oath. Surely, when you change your address with CIC, your information has to be updated and then your file will be moved to Ontario/office closer to your "new" address. This will in my opinion cause "some" delay no doubt. How much delay depends on how CIC will coordinate the switch to another office. That new office has to now add you to their own queue for Oath and who knows how long that will take. Your best bet would be to wait it out in Quebec until you get your oath and then you can do whatever you want. But then again, who knows...maybe the wait from test to oath maybe longer than a few months. I think what important is your own sanity and mental health status here. Depression is a serious illness. If what you're saying is true, then by all means move to a place where you will get "healthier". Your citizenship will come eventually albeit later but it will nonetheless come.

Good luck my friend and wishing you God's speed as you ponder on your next move.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I recommend you to:

1) Accept the Ontario's job

2) Ask Canada Post to forward your mail to your new address (it has a small fee)

3) Don't tell CIC about this as you are not leaving Canada, it doesn't affect your eligibility.

4) Look for professional help AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. A psychologist would help.

Good luck.

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
neutral said:
I recommend you to:

2) Ask Canada Post to forward your mail to your new address (it has a small fee)

3) Don't tell CIC about this as you are not leaving Canada, it doesn't affect your eligibility.

Good luck.
Don't tell the CIC about my forwarding of address? and my actual living place? Wouldn't they find out? I hope this wouldn't get me in trouble.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Anthony_nyc said:
Don't tell the CIC about my forwarding of address? and my actual living place? Wouldn't they find out? I hope this wouldn't get me in trouble.
I don't think mail forwarding works for CIC letters (or most government letters for that matters)... You may need to double-check.

Sometime you need to sacrifice a little something (taking the oath later) to gain something big (improved health). Your problem is that you are trying to have it all... and internal conflicts are further damaging your mental health.

Embrace this simple path and wait patiently for oath letter at new address

2) Call CIC and let them know your new address

Good luck

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anthony_nyc said:
It doesn't get you in any trouble as the job is in Canada. However, you can tell them, but then don't ask yourself why your process to have the oath takes longer ... come on, as other have said, you can't have it all.

But, if you are accepting a new job it usually means that you're not taking vacation soon so I don't see any difference if your citizenship takes 3-4 months longer because of the notification CIC of your new address.

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
neutral said:
It doesn't get you in any trouble as the job is in Canada. However, you can tell them, but then don't ask yourself why your process to have the oath takes longer ... come on, as other have said, you can't have it all.

But, if you are accepting a new job it usually means that you're not taking vacation soon so I don't see any difference if your citizenship takes 3-4 months longer because of the notification CIC of your new address.
Since you mention there is no risk and it's safe to just move and get my mail forwarded to an Ontario address, then I'll do it, since it's not doing anything wrong. But does Canada Post Mail Forwarding service actually apply to forwarding Citizenship government mail?

ahmadmani

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One friend of mine had the same situation as yours. He did not update his address at all. His friend was checking his mails. Once he called CIC anonymously and they had told him that change of address would delay the process as it needs relocation of documents to the new local office. He could easily get his citizenship within 2 months with no issues.