+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we leave the country during the entire citizenship process

shuttle11

Feb 15, 2019
Hi
Am (with my husband as well) eligible to apply for the Canadian citizenship this May. We are planning to leave the country after we apply. We will return only when we need to attend citizenship test or take oath.

Is it possible to leave the country during the entire citizenship process. Our PR is valid till 2024 Jan.

Thank you

sookie85

Apr 30, 2014
Kosovo
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
09-05-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2015
File Transfer...
07-08-2015
Med's Request
26-05-2016
Med's Done....
13-06-2016
Interview........
09-05-2016
Passport Req..
28-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2016
Hi
Am (with my husband as well) eligible to apply for the Canadian citizenship this May. We are planning to leave the country after we apply. We will return only when we need to attend citizenship test or take oath.

Is it possible to leave the country during the entire citizenship process. Our PR is valid till 2024 Jan.

Thank you
Yes you can.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi

Thank you
There are no rules that prohibit moving abroad after making an application for grant citizenship and while the application is still pending.

There are, however, logistical RISKS, and there are procedural RISKS (such as non-routine processing and some potential for elevated scrutiny). These are discussed at length in multiple topics in the forum.

There are numerous anecdotal reports by applicants who have successfully done this. There are others who report problems.

It is not clear, however, what percentage of those reporting success are applicants who, in one fashion or another, may have engaged in misrepresentation by concealing from IRCC their actual residential address during the processing of the application. Should go without saying, failing to be honest with IRCC during the application process increases the RISKS of things going awry. Remember, misrepresentation is a stand-alone ground for denying an application, and even a perception of evasiveness or deception can cause significant problems in processing. Moreover, those who do engage in misrepresentation, either overtly or by omission, will never be sure they were successful even if in the near term they are granted citizenship, since making any misrepresentation in the process will remain grounds to revoke citizenship for the rest of the person's life.

Be aware that your plan is commonly characterized as "applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport," typically by that rather substantial segment of Canadians (some of whom undoubtedly are personnel employed by IRCC) who have strong negative sentiments about this, and who also tend to perceive that such applicants are "seeking-a-passport-of-convenience," and as such are thought, by many Canadians, to be gaming the Canadian system, and thus to be approached with suspicion.

None of which is to contradict reports of success by applicants moving abroad after applying who have not concealed changes in information or otherwise engaged in deception.

Andr3yo

Nov 21, 2021
So I have a question. I want to leave Canada to study in Czech for 4 years. I have a PR and will be applying for citizenship on September. How will me leaving to study in Europe effect my PR and the process of getting citizenship?

justanotherguy28

Star Member
Sep 28, 2021
So I have a question. I want to leave Canada to study in Czech for 4 years. I have a PR and will be applying for citizenship on September. How will me leaving to study in Europe effect my PR and the process of getting citizenship?
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

There is no problem leaving Canada after mailing your citizenship application to pursue whatever you want.

You will still need to maintain your PR (2 years in the past 5 years) until your citizenship application is approved and you take oath. The "past 5 years" is a constantly sliding scale. If you application takes a while to be approved, and you take oath on Jan 1, 2024, you should've resided in Canada for 2 years in the period Jan 1, 2019 to Jan 1, 2024 and so on. Obviously, no one knows when your application will be approved. Just note that if you're short by even one day, you will have a lot of trouble becoming a citizen or most likely, even returning as a PR.

If your PR card expires/is lost while you're outside Canada, you will not be able to get a replacement card which could affect your travel if you need to come back for oath (of it they remove the option to take the test from outside Canada). You cannot take oath from outside Canada, you will need to come back for that last step. So you need to make sure you won't be tied up for that. You can still travel without a PR card by applying for a PR Travel Document at the local consulate but it might not be readily available.

In certain cases, there are some reports of of certain IRCC officers temporarily stopping processing your citizenship while you're outside but it doesn't seem to be a trend and it is clearly contrary to the spirit of IRCC's assurances. Whether to change your address on the citizenship application or not is something I'm not sure about. Just know that almost all correspondences are online. You can go through IRCC's advisory on change of address and decide for yourself if you want to do that. I've also seen some folks giving a friend's address but it's simply something I don't have enough knowledge on.

If possible, you could prepare in advance certain documents - which are not necessary but if they decide to do a QA or an RQ (both very rare), these documents will come handy. If you want to get those, some of them will be much easier to get while you're here than from Czech.

1. Take a back up of all estatements (or physical) of your bank accounts for the time you stayed in Canada. Rent payment check copies if available.

2. Rental agreements and Phone/Other utility bills

3. Health Insurance Summary or Statement of Benefits (you will have to ask this from the province)

4. Tax return backups

5. Your travel related evidence such as boarding pass, hotel receipts etc for any travel during your stay in Canada.

Anything you can think of that proves your residency.

There are extensive discussions in this forum on this topic, just search for RQ

Again. it's very rare to get these requests but it can happen at an inopportune time.

This is the template - https://residencequestionnaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/cit_520-e.pdf (External link, open at your own risk)

This version is even rarer (I don't remember seeing any recent discussions about anyone getting this): https://residencequestionnaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/cit-0171-7-2014-e.pdf (External link, open at your own risk)

Other than that, just don't lose any important documents like passport or the PR card and you should be fine. Good luck!

Last edited:

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
Hi

Thank you
hey @shuttle11, what did you end up doing? Did you have any problems? What address did you use on your application while you were gone?