+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we leave Canada Without PR card?

Jit

Apr 4, 2011
At present for new landed immigrants PR card processing time is 32 business days. Can anyone leave Canada without PR card? Any problem at airport?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nobody will stop you from leaving but you might have problems coming back.

If you are visa exempt, you can come back to Canada without a PR card if you have your landing papers. If you are not visa exempt, you will need to get a PR travel document at the Canadian embassy where you are staying. Getting a PR travel document can sometimes take a couple of weeks so if you need one, ask the embassy about their processing times before you book your flight.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon said:
Nobody will stop you from leaving but you might have problems coming back.

If you are visa exempt, you can come back to Canada without a PR card if you have your landing papers. If you are not visa exempt, you will need to get a PR travel document at the Canadian embassy where you are staying. Getting a PR travel document can sometimes take a couple of weeks so if you need one, ask the embassy about their processing times before you book your flight.
Or, as has been suggested elsewhere, have the first-time PR card sent to someone you know, and have that person courier it to you abroad.

But it is more difficult when you renew your PR card; you must pick it up in person, which is awkward if you are frequently out of Canada.

(Note: some PRs are accompanying Canadian spouses outside Canada. They can count the days abroad toward their PR quota, and thus maintain PR. So, for them, picking up a PR card in person, in Canada, could be a logistical problem. Or an expensive proposition, since they might have to return to Canada just for the card, then immediately return to the offshore location. For these cases, it is best to ask for an expedited issuance of the PR card at time of renewal.)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This maybe so, but had been explained elsewhere in the forum that there is always chances that after landing the photo were found not according to specs and thus the CIC asked the applicant to re-submit the photographs in person (which often the person is already outside the country).

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
This maybe so, but had been explained elsewhere in the forum that there is always chances that after landing the photo were found not according to specs and thus the CIC asked the applicant to re-submit the photographs in person (which often the person is already outside the country).
True, that's a risk.

In that case, the PR would have to apply for a travel document to get back into Canada, take the photos, and present the new photos to CIC.

To avoid this, a PR who has pressing business outside Canada, hopefully at last two months after landing, could show the return ticket and ask for accelerated processing.

bluuskii

May 6, 2011
My pr card has not been issued as yet still waiting for 5 mths now with no red letter... My job is flight crew and my company will start operations flying into Canada ...if I don't have the pr card can I still enter Canada as a crew member or would I need to have the travel document with me?.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should be able to enter Canada with your passport and landing papers. If you are not visa exempt, the problem is usually with the airline letting you board the plane at all but since you are a crew member, I guess that is not a problem for you.

omeee

May 27, 2011
steaky said:
Hi

I already got the photo in my PR papers. I have yet to land at the end of this month. Are you talking about some other photo or is it the same photo which i already have in my PR papers (which i received with my immigration visa)?

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You should be able to enter Canada with your passport and landing papers. If you are not visa exempt, the problem is usually with the airline letting you board the plane at all but since you are a crew member, I guess that is not a problem for you.

dear leon

wishes .could youplease let me know " who are visa exempt"?

regards
imu

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
imu said:
wishes .could youplease let me know " who are visa exempt"?
Here you can see which nations are visa exempt: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Here you can see which nations are visa exempt: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions
thanks indeed!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omeee said:
Hi

I already got the photo in my PR papers. I have yet to land at the end of this month. Are you talking about some other photo or is it the same photo which i already have in my PR papers (which i received with my immigration visa)?
I was referring the photos for PR applications.

omeee

May 27, 2011
steaky said:
I was referring the photos for PR applications.
Actually through this forums and many others, I came to know that the main reason of PR card processing delay is that the photos are not according to their specs. I just wanted to reconfirm are these the same photos which we already have on our landing photos. If they use the same photos then those are already checked by embassy to be according to specs. If the embassies have already checked those photos to be according to specs then what is the point of not accepting them later.

pandaforever

Jun 15, 2011
Good question and I've been wondering about this a lot also. My partner and I used the same shop to take and process the pics. Mine was accepted, my partner's was not. When we landed we asked the immigration officer whether the photos were OK. The officer said sure, no prob. 3 months later I got my card, my partner got a letter requesting new photos.

I come to the conclusion that there is no logic when it comes to PR card photos. Where I come from this would not have happened - a webcam would have been used to take the pics onsite to ensure stuff ups like don't happen. But we are talking about Canada and the 'Canadian way', and we must bear with it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is your responsibility to look at and measure your photos to make sure they meet the requirements. Having the pictures taken at the same place doesn't mean they are both good. People have different size heads so even if your head is the right size in the picture, the head of the other person could be outside the allowed measurements with the same set up. Take a ruler with you to the photographer and do not pay until they get them right. I have had to do this myself.