+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can visitor go back to country if their visitor visa extension still in progress.

Nikesh13

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Hello Experts,

My mother is planning to visit us next month.

I know CBSA will approve 6 months of stay.

However, if we apply for a visitor visa extension.

Before a decision has been made, Can the visitor go back to the country? or visitor has to stay until the CIC's decision?

If a visitor can go back to the country, should I cancel her visa application after she leaves Canada?

Thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Once she leaves Canada, the application for the extension becomes invalid. Her return to Canada would result in a new entry (unless it falls into very specific categories) and new assessment by CBSA.

Nikesh13

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Thanks to clarify..
So we can apply for her extension and she can leave within a month in her implied status window.

Sam421

Jul 25, 2019
Anytime you apply for any type of extension be it work permit, visitor record, or even PR. You are in implied status/in processing, you lose this status as soon as you travel outside Canada and you will be treated as fresh newcomer if you try to re-enter Canada.

She is free to leave Canada anytime but once she re-enters, officer at the airport will do fresh assessment of her eligibility to enter Canada, if she is found to be living here long term on a visitor's visa, she could be refused entry to Canada and sent back.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Once she leaves you should send in a webform indicating that your mother has left Canada. As others have pointed out she is still a visitor in Canada so shouldn’t just be visiting her home country for a few weeks and returning to Canada.