+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can US Immigration status affect for application ?

xtream

Jul 8, 2007
Immigration status in US, can affect ability to apply for Canadian PR for skilled worker class category? Friend of mine has been out of status for couple of months and want to file an application for Canadian PR so need more information regarding the process of filing without wasting time and money??
Can anyone suggest me about the procedure for US out of status application?

Cyrus

Jul 7, 2007
I was unclear about this so I got this clarified not only by someone on here who is pretty knowledgeable, but I also called someone in Toronto yesterday and they informed me that if you entered the US legally on a visa and were given permission to stay in the US for atleast one year, then even if you are out of status now, you can still apply for PR Canada. A friend of mine from Brazil is in the same boat as your friend. I was also informed that the overstay though, will warrant a very close look at the documents you provide to CIC.

xtream

Jul 8, 2007
Thanks "Cyrus", for your encouraging statement and for that point friend of mine can proceed for his regular application process and application materials can be sent to Buffalo, NY center, right ? Then you are pretty much confimed about that. He has been here for six years with legal status and it is only couple of months that he has been out of status. If you have more information, kindly please drop your views thru this forum. Thanks once again.