+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can US citizen hired by Canadian university bring spouse?

Lee Tatum

Apr 7, 2017
Hi. I'm a US citizen and currently on the job market for a college or university teaching position. I've seen several perfect openings at the University of British Columbia Vancouver which are open to all qualified candidates, including non-Canadians. I realize that if I got the job, the university would arrange for my work visa. But would my spouse be able to move and live with me in Canada without a job? My husband had a stroke 8 months ago and is not ready to return to work yet. If I had a job in Vancouver, would getting a visa for him to live with me be easy? Impossible?
I don't want to spend the time and effort applying if we couldn't move to Vancouver as a couple. Sorry if this is a stupid question and thank you (anyone) for your help. When I google variations of my question, every post is about an American with a Canadian spouse or vice versa, not two Americans with one working in Canada. Thanks very much, Lee

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
22-02-2017 (Passed: 20-04-2017)
On a work permit (visa) your spouse may join you without much immigration hassle
Eventually the hiring university would require you to apply PR in maintaining your tenure
Your spouse would be okay if he does not pose any heavy 'burden' to Canadian healthcare during PR application

Lee Tatum

Apr 7, 2017
Thanks so much for your response! I'm going to apply for the position and keep my fingers crossed. Have a great day, L.