+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can the In-Canada applicant leave Canada during the application

zlzl2021

Mar 28, 2021
Hello,

I have a question here.
Is it possible that the applicant leave Canada temporarily before the PR approval?
Or should we contact IRCC and change the application to the Out-Canada case?

Now the status is background in process,
Eligibility passed, Medical exam passed, open Work permit received, and the applicant holds a valid visitor visa.

Thank you

lenuxii

Star Member
Jan 24, 2023
You cannot change the stream to outland from inland if you've already applied and the application is in process.

If you're inland you MUST stay in Canada during the process if you don't want any complications. There is no guarantee that the officer will let you back in, Your application will can be set to 'Abandoned' if you're not allowed back in.

Link from Canada's immigration website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

"Leaving Canada can automatically cancel temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker.
If your spouse or common-law partner leaves Canada before becoming a permanent resident, they may not be allowed to come back. This is especially true if they need a Temporary Resident Visa or an eTA to enter Canada."

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I have a question here.
Is it possible that the applicant leave Canada temporarily before the PR approval?

Eligibility passed, Medical exam passed, open Work permit received, and the applicant holds a valid visitor visa.

Thank you
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/search/21344407/?q=inland+leave+canada&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=5&o=relevance

You will find at least 330 pages of threads in this forum alone, where this has been asked/discussed for years.

An Inland applicant can indeed leave Canada during the process, but as @lenuxii points out...getting back into Canada is the part that is uncertain and not without at least some risk, depending on the applicant's background and prior experience with CBSA. At the end of the day, it's sometimes just the luck of the draw, since every CBSA officer is different.

Most discussions (in the past) have seemed to elude that a short trip (perhaps a couple of weeks) could be ok. Having a valid OWP would seem to be helpful, but no guarantee, of course. This seems to be somewhat corroborated by this, although it is NOT an official statement from IRCC:
https://dfimmigration.ca/how-to-immigrate-to-canada/inland-in-canada-sponsorship/

Leaving Canada while an Inland Sponsorship Application is in Process

It is a common misconception that once you file an inland sponsorship application for permanent residence in Canada, that the person being sponsored cannot leave Canada. This is not the case.

Applicants are allowed to enter and leave Canada even while their inland application is in process. However, it is important not to leave for frequent or extended periods because an application can be refused if an inland applicant is determined not to be residing in Canada.

While it is possible that an applicant could be prevented from entering Canada, this is primarily a danger if the applicant travels outside Canada for frequent trips and/or long periods while their application is in process. A reasonable expectation of travel during processing of an inland application is no more than twice per year, for a few weeks per trip. Family emergencies are also taken into consideration.

Click here to learn more about leaving Canada after submitting an In-Canada Class sponsorship application.
---

Since it would appear that you may be close to reaching the proverbial finish line, really think about the true importance of your trip. If you feel that it's worth the risk, go for it.

Last edited:

Leeanncr

Star Member
Dec 10, 2022
we have inland application in progress, and had to leave canada so my spouse could bury his mother in Jamaica, and had zero issues. He currently holds a valid work permit, we just got his trv in January so he could return to canada. We were gone 10 days. At time we left, our application had everything completed except the dependants biometrics as my stepson lost his passport, but we were able to replace it while we were visiting them and get them to complete biometrics at that same time. With that being said, I am unsure what would happen if you were at a stage where you already uploaded photo to the portal and had ecopr pending and then decided to travel and then the ecopr got issued. I think at that point you would have to apply for a travel document to get back into Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
we have inland application in progress, and had to leave canada so my spouse could bury his mother in Jamaica, and had zero issues. He currently holds a valid work permit, we just got his trv in January so he could return to canada. We were gone 10 days. At time we left, our application had everything completed except the dependants biometrics as my stepson lost his passport, but we were able to replace it while we were visiting them and get them to complete biometrics at that same time. With that being said, I am unsure what would happen if you were at a stage where you already uploaded photo to the portal and had ecopr pending and then decided to travel and then the ecopr got issued. I think at that point you would have to apply for a travel document to get back into Canada.
10 days for a funeral is very different than spending months abroad. Short visits and especially emergencies that require a short visit shouldn’t be an issue.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I have a question here.

Thank you
How long do you want to be out of Canada?