+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can refugee claimant person apply for driver licence before hearing

Mayyadah

Jan 2, 2018
Dear Friends,
I am a refugee claimant who has been referred to CIC, Waiting for my hearing in December, Can I apply for driver license now? or I am not eligible till they accept me as a refugee?
Thanks

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Dear Friends,
I am a refugee claimant who has been referred to CIC, Waiting for my hearing in December, Can I apply for driver license now? or I am not eligible till they accept me as a refugee?
Thanks
It depends on the province you live in. For example, I believe refugee claimants staying in Alberta can't apply for a driver's licence while they can in British Columbia.

Reactions: Mayyadah

Mdx31

Apr 1, 2018
You can apply for a driver's license as a refugee claimant in Ontario i did it without any problems

Mayyadah

Jan 2, 2018
I am in Alberta, They refused to have the test, they said I should wait for the claimant result, My question is can I go to ontario and apply there? even I applied for refugee in Alberta?

Mayyadah

Jan 2, 2018
It depends on the province you live in. For example, I believe refugee claimants staying in Alberta can't apply for a driver's license while they can in British Columbia.
You are right, I called them they refused! can I apply in BC and use it in Alberta? Note: I applied for refugee in Alberta Edmonton

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You would have to be a resident of B.C. or Ontario before you could apply for a license in either province. Once you return to Alberta you are obligated to exchange your out of province license for an Alberta license after 90 days, at which point they would refuse you if you had not recieved refugee status and seize your license. If you are living in Alberta, you don’t have a lot of choices when it comes to a license.

Richard2323

Mar 28, 2024
Hi, I'm in the same boat .. can you advice how to apply for license in Ontario
It's quite simple to get your G1 driver's license in Ontario. All you need is a valid form of identification and $159 to take the G1 knowledge test. Once you pass the test, you may proceed to get your G straight license. If you already have an extract of your driver's record, you can skip the G2 road test and directly apply for the G straight license.