+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can PPS case pass medical exam?

Sairam

Star Member
Aug 26, 2013
Dear forum Members,
My friend's spouse has post polio syndrome.She got infected at the age of six months resulted in 2cm shortening of right foot compared to left foot.Fortunately,she is functionally independence and has been working on her profession satisfactorily.She says,She has not operated and medicated till date but complication may arise in the near future due to existing disability such as spine deformity and weakening of muscles power which she noticed by surfing the internet.Moreover,she has already spent money ,time and energy for immigration project to Canada.She is so much worried thinking that CIC would not accept her application for PR.

She ,therefore, would like to have similar experience or opinion who has already passed medical exam even with disability due to PPS.
Your response on this matter will be the medicine for her ills

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
This area is known as "excessive demand medical inadmissibility". Unless the cost of her treatment is likely to exceed ~$33k in the next 5 years (or $66k in the next 10 years) there will be no issue. If CIC thinks it will, they will request additional medical information and if they still think it will, they will issue a fairness letter.

She can challenge the fairness letter in a number of ways including arguing about the likely costs.

So without knowing details of the anticipated costs it is difficult to say, but it seems unlikely given the information you have provided. CIC only has a few hot button issues here: HIV, down's syndrome, kidney or liver disease, cancer, etc. It does require some research to respond however, but it is quite possible to be successful.

Sairam

Star Member
Aug 26, 2013
computergeek said:
This area is known as "excessive demand medical inadmissibility". Unless the cost of her treatment is likely to exceed ~$33k in the next 5 years (or $66k in the next 10 years) there will be no issue. If CIC thinks it will, they will request additional medical information and if they still think it will, they will issue a fairness letter.

She can challenge the fairness letter in a number of ways including arguing about the likely costs.

So without knowing details of the anticipated costs it is difficult to say, but it seems unlikely given the information you have provided. CIC only has a few hot button issues here: HIV, down's syndrome, kidney or liver disease, cancer, etc. It does require some research to respond however, but it is quite possible to be successful.
Dear Computergreek,
I am so pleased to have your response earlier.While contacting panel physician,he said this case will determine by CIC not by the doctor,the doctor only process the medical examination. We assumed that the doctor can give some indication to this case.what do you think?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Sairam said:
Dear Computergreek,
I am so pleased to have your response earlier.While contacting panel physician,he said this case will determine by CIC not by the doctor,the doctor only process the medical examination. We assumed that the doctor can give some indication to this case.what do you think?
The doctor is being a bit disingenuous here. One of the forms the doctor fills out includes a checklist of her/his evaluation of the potential demand of the patient. It is true that the IMS team will make the final determination, but the information submitted by the doctor is an important factor here.

One thing I should point out: if CIC thinks there is an issue, you will have ample opportunity to respond to it. A finding of medical inadmissibility has specific procedural steps that CIC is required to follow (see OP 15 on the CIC website for a detailed description of those steps). It includes doing medical furtherance (additional tests and information for making their decision) and a fairness letter (this sets out the condition and the anticipated costs). You are permitted to respond to a fairness letter and they will then consider your additional evidence. I've worked with some people who have submitted strong fairness responses and had CIC withdraw their finding of inadmissibility.

My point is just that it is far too early to give up.

Sairam

Star Member
Aug 26, 2013
computergeek said:
The doctor is being a bit disingenuous here. One of the forms the doctor fills out includes a checklist of her/his evaluation of the potential demand of the patient. It is true that the IMS team will make the final determination, but the information submitted by the doctor is an important factor here.

One thing I should point out: if CIC thinks there is an issue, you will have ample opportunity to respond to it. A finding of medical inadmissibility has specific procedural steps that CIC is required to follow (see OP 15 on the CIC website for a detailed description of those steps). It includes doing medical furtherance (additional tests and information for making their decision) and a fairness letter (this sets out the condition and the anticipated costs). You are permitted to respond to a fairness letter and they will then consider your additional evidence. I've worked with some people who have submitted strong fairness responses and had CIC withdraw their finding of inadmissibility.

My point is just that it is far too early to give up.
Dear computergreek,
Thank you again for taking time to give us a feedback upon our query.However ,getting this concern in detail,there is a high chance for her to get approved on medical test for immigration.I ,personally,advised her to go ahead as well.