+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my wife and I sponsor her younger brother???

hellovn

Jul 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

We have just landed as immigrants today. My wife has a younger brother (less than 18 years old) who will apply for a Canada study permit very soon. I'm working for an IT company in Canada so that I can provide financial guarantee for him. My wife is studying and has been working as a TA, RA and internship since last year. However, i think her income is only enough for her tuition fee and living expense.

Can my wife or I sponsor her younger brother? Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

jesse_love

Nov 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Basically, you cannot sponsor your brother. However, you can sponsor your parents. Then, as your brother is under 18 (actually only needed to be under 21), he can go with your parents. In other word, the only way that you could sponsor your brother to Canada is to sponsor your parents.

I hope it is helpful for you.

Another thing I should tell you is to bring your brother as an international student to Canada may cost a lot. It may cost much more than you anticipated. You should think carefully before doing that. If you decide to do it, I may help with the information on this matter because I did the same thing before.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There may be provincial programs that allow this sponsorship, depending on where you live. It's worth looking into.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
From the CIC website...
Who can be sponsored

You can sponsor:

parents
grandparents
brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

Who cannot be sponsored

Other relatives, such as brothers and sisters over 18, or adult independent children cannot be sponsored. However, if they apply to immigrate under the Skilled Worker Class, they may get extra points for adaptability for having a relative in Canada.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The information from Allison is correct, so a federal sponsorship is not possible (unless orphaned, which I gather is not the case). The provinces can make their own rules to a certain extent, and I've heard that some provinces do allow sibling immigration (I have no personal experience or knowledge there).

Yaya Marei

Aug 25, 2010
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/8/2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 2010
Med's Request
1l7 2011
Med's Done....
3/7 /2011
Interview........
28/6/2011
Passport Req..
17/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
21/8/2011
LANDED..........
31/8 /2011 Insallah
I think what you should do is that , let him come to canada as students, then when your wife finish her school and got good payment, she can sponsor him,

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
hellovn said:
Hi All,

We have just landed as immigrants today. My wife has a younger brother (less than 18 years old) who will apply for a Canada study permit very soon. I'm working for an IT company in Canada so that I can provide financial guarantee for him. My wife is studying and has been working as a TA, RA and internship since last year. However, i think her income is only enough for her tuition fee and living expense.

Can my wife or I sponsor her younger brother? Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
What is the age of your wife's brother exactly?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Manitoba and Saskatchewan currently have opportunities for PRs to sponsor family members through their PNP programs however, there are criteria that must be met by both the sponsor and the applicant. As you just landed in Canada and it is not clear if you are living in either of these provinces, you would not be eligible for these programs at this time.

There are federal and provincial economic program paths to PR available for students who graduate from Canadian post-secondary institutions. If your nephew is able to come as a student, it's probably best to create a plan for him to apply for PR through one of these. It will be a process where each of the steps to eligibility must be met so it's not fast. But it can be done and it's probably the boy's best option if PR to Canada is the end goal. However, as another person indicated, it is expensive.

Sponsoring your wife's parents with the boy as a dependent child is also an option but again, since you just landed, you need to wait until you meet the income requirements to be eligible to sponsor the family and it is also a very long process, minimum 4 to 5 years, and all sponsored family members must be medically and criminally admissible to be successful.

hellovn

Jul 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adzees said:
What is the age of your wife's brother exactly?
Hi,

He will be 18 years old next year so we try to get him as a PR so that we can save some money for international tuition fee.

hellovn

Jul 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks all for your inputs. It seems we can't sponsor him now. He will come here to study and we just try to sponsor him to save some money for his tuition fees.