+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my PR be revoked by my sponsor before I land?

ekladki01

May 2, 2012
Hi Leon and others

I have come across this forum in search of answers to my question, and I dearly hope you can help me and asap.

I got married a few months ago (and joined my husband in canada on a tourist visa). i came back to submit my passport in delhi for PR and should be leaving for landing soon. we have been having marital problems, and on occasion i have threatened to leave him as well. he is now telling me he wants this marriage to end, and since before he has said so, i have been trying to be reconciliatory, telling him we both need to give the relationship an honest try- we have only been married a few months now. even now, i am keen on going to canada and giving this a try, meeting a counsellor and doing everything else we can to make it work. however i am worried that out of anger my husband can do something such that my PR loses validity and he doesnt have to work on the relationship/ take responsibility for the pain caused to me over the months.
I did not leave in a bad way- did not think he would suddenly turn around as well, all my jewellery and papers (certificates/ career related documents) are in canada at his place.
I understand that once i land, my PR is valid and i have rights. I want to know if the sponsor can unilaterally revoke his sponsorship after the PR has been stuck in my passport but before i land. If he can, will i get to know? and how long will revoking take, and what happens if I land while the revocation is in process.
Additionally, the PR documents state that if i hide problems in marriage and land, such a landing can be revoked- but i have only an angry email from my sponsor- not divorce papers, (which too i do not consent to, so early in the relationship/ argument), so do i have a legal obligation to report my squabble to the authorities?
I left a well paying job and a whole career and life in another country to be with him, but i still want to give my marriage an honest shot, so i dont have any regrets later-which is only possible if i go to canada. So would appreciate guidance/ clarity from your end.

Thanking you in anticipation
EL

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, he can revoke his sponsorship before you land. All he has to do is notify immigration that he is withdrawing his sponsorship and when you try to land, you will not be able to. Even though you are still married and not divorced, it is still his decision if he wants to sponsor you.

If he doesn't withdraw his sponsorship and you land, he could still cause you a bit of trouble afterwards if he states that the marriage was essentially over at the time you landed and you knew that but you can counter with that you had an argument but as far as you knew the marriage was nowhere near over so I don't think he could get your PR revoked if that were the case.

If you have your visa now, you should go and land before he does something. Maybe when you arrive, he will be happy again and you will reconcile.

ekladki01

May 2, 2012
Hi Leon,

Thanks for your reply. Is there any way i can find out if the sponsorship has been revoked? or do i just have to go to canada hoping nothing happens, and get deported if he has?

any numbers i can contact from outside canada to find out?

ekladki01

May 2, 2012
I'd really appreciate a response by anyone on my question - since i got confused by something i read else where. I read that once i have received my PR on my passport, it will not be possible for the sponsorship to be revoked, and atmost, a form 44 for inadmissibility will be filed which i will have to contest in the court there. I cannot be deported, in short. Leon/ anyone else...Please can someone clarify?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Even once the PR visa is in your passport, it's still possible for your husband to revoke it. There was someone on this forum a year or two ago who managed to do this when she found out her husband had been unfaithful.

I don't see how inadmissibility would apply to you. If your husband revokes your PR, it's not that you have become inadmissible - you just no longer have approval to become a PR through spousal sponsorship. If you obtain a PR visa based on spousal sponsorship and that spousal sponsorship is withdrawn before you land - there is nothing for your to contest in court. Your husband is 100% within his rights to withdraw his sponsorship before you land.

Unfortunately I don't know of any number you can call from outside of Canada. Have you tried talking to your husband? If you really plan on coming to Canada to fix this relationship, you should start discussing this with him now and make sure he's supporting you and won't pull his sponsorship. That's really your best option on how to approach this situation.

ekladki01

May 2, 2012
Thank you for your reply. I am already in talks, but these things are complicated. I am trying to finding how things work to prepare myself for the worst, there is no direct threat from my sponsor in this regard.

Tks again.
EL

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
ekladki01 said:
Thank you for your reply. I am already in talks, but these things are complicated. I am trying to finding how things work to prepare myself for the worst, there is no direct threat from my sponsor in this regard.

Tks again.
EL
I suggest you to Land normally as quickley as possable .
Once you in Canada , you dont have to worry. Women always have right 'Even if they are at fault'

No one can kick you out from Canada even he divorce you , you can get hundred of social services who will help you get settle , even they will help you getting maintainance .

Also if your husband has tie in India ,youcan catch him in court .

Even if he is Canadian citizen , but having OIC , in India he will bind to Indian law.