+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my fiance enter canada on a tourist Visa?

bayita_jesi

Nov 1, 2016
Hi,
I am going to Canada as a foreign worker and since I am from a visa Excempt country I'll be applying for the work permit at the border the same day I travel (I have a positive LMIA).
My boyfriend wants to apply to an open work permit afterwards mine is granted (lets hope it is granted). Could he travel with me using his tourist visa just for one week before he applies for an open work permit? I've been hearing that he could be denied at the border because he is not "actually visiting" (but in fact that is why he is going, he wants to know the city before applying for work) but accompanying me. He has proof that he needs to return to his home country to continue working and also financial proof to stay a week, wouldn't this be enough for him to be accepted at the border?

Thanks!

perry.w1224

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Markham
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila / CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-03-2016
Med's Done....
22-10-2015
Passport Req..
03-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-10-2016
LANDED..........
18-10-2016
Almost anyone can visit Canada with proper travel documents unless he had been ordered to leave Canada in the past which can raise questions at customs.
I don't see what the problem is.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bayita_jesi said:
My boyfriend wants to apply to an open work permit afterwards mine is granted (lets hope it is granted).
Boyfriend and fiancee are not legal terms.
He would need to be your married spouse or common-law partner (meaning you've lived together for 12 continuous months) to get an open work permit based on your own work permit.

Note also your own job must meet a certain criteria for a spouse/common-law partner to get an OWP though you: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d
You're a spouse or family member of someone working or studying temporarily in Canada
You may be eligible for an open work permit if you’re:
-a spouse of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer,