+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Justin Trudeau will reduce citizenship days

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In general, for those who follow the citizenship application process as a matter of interest and who favour a positive, flexible, and reasonable path to citizenship for immigrants, the appointment of John McCallum to be the Minister of CIC should be fairly good news. He tends to wear the lower-case "liberal" description as much as he is formally a "Liberal."

And in general he appears to be a very good appointment for CIC.

And he is among perhaps only a few of the new Ministers who are clearly well-informed with the portfolio for the Ministry before he begins functioning as Minister (which is not to criticize those who will need to work hard just to learn their respective portfolio, but rather to recognize that John McCallum is indeed one of the most experienced Ministers, relative to the particular portfolio, in the new Cabinet). He knows his way around immigration and citizenship issues. (One of the big flaws for Chris Alexander was that he really did not display much more than a superficial grasp of the issues; his "explanations" during committee hearings related to Bill C-24, while it was still a pending Bill, could be painful to watch given how little command he appeared to have of what the Bill actually prescribed let alone understanding it in the context of how the changes affects practical issues.)

But this should NOT be taken to indicate major changes coming soon.

The new government is already announcing its key priorities, the items to be addressed in the short term (like middle class tax relief); so far I do not see citizenship requirements making either that list or the next to be addressed group of priorities.

Indeed, just for purposes of CIC, the media is identifying a number of priorities which do NOT include naturalization requirements.

For example, see http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/immigration-minister-john-mccallum-6-challenges-he-faces-1.3304602

Reminder, Parliament will not even be in session for nearly another month.

Change in tone:

My sense is that under Minister McCallum's leadership, the tone and style of CIC will change. This will come about slowly. Bureaucracies are very, very slow moving beasts, even when change is mandated by changes in the law. CIC is very much a typical, large, cumbersome bureaucracy in this regard. But, there are many aspects of how things are done at CIC which can change just by refocusing priorities and objectives. I believe Minister McCallum will lead CIC in a more open and flexible direction, less draconian (the rules about wearing facial coverings at citizenship ceremonies, for example, has finally changed to accommodate those who wish to not remove the covering during the giving of the oath . . . up to the time of the election, the Program Delivery Instructions continued to only say that changes were coming . . . while in the meantime the Conservatives continued to proceed toward further appeals).

The process of changing style and tone will also take time, but manifestations of this should become apparent sooner than statutory changes are made, and particularly so before there is any change in the naturalization requirements.

rmorgan

Jan 24, 2015
Thank you all for your comments, particularly M. dpenabill.

I did not read this topic before posting my own suggesting petitioning new government to bring back 3 year residency requirement. Still finding my way around the forum, so apologies for not being able to post the link.

After reading the comments, I get the feeling that there may not be much point to pushing for the 1 year reduction (3/4 rather than 4/6 in the shorthand used). In any case, maybe we should all consider just writing to the Minister, as well to our riding's MP, to request the 3 year residency requirement should be among the amendments they eventually table for C-24 (even if by the time this comes through, most of us will have already fulfilled the 4/6 requirements).

Cheers

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rmorgan said:
Thank you all for your comments, particularly M. dpenabill.

I did not read this topic before posting my own suggesting petitioning new government to bring back 3 year residency requirement. Still finding my way around the forum, so apologies for not being able to post the link.

After reading the comments, I get the feeling that there may not be much point to pushing for the 1 year reduction (3/4 rather than 4/6 in the shorthand used). In any case, maybe we should all consider just writing to the Minister, as well to our riding's MP, to request the 3 year residency requirement should be among the amendments they eventually table for C-24 (even if by the time this comes through, most of us will have already fulfilled the 4/6 requirements).

Cheers
Canada has the highest rate of naturalization in the world. 85% of PRs become citizens. That being said, the processing time has reached 36 months at some point, which is unacceptable by todays standards of service delivery. In Australia and the USA they grant citizenship in 90 days, so I assume that the 4/6 requirement was implemented to let the understaffed CIC clear the applications' inventory, and it sort of helped, as most files are completed in less than 12 months now (which still leaves room for improvement). However, LPC's platform envisioned running deficit budgets for 36 months, consequently they will start hiring new public servants and CIC's expanded workforce will technically allow to decrease the RO back to 3/4 while keeping the backlog low. Hon. John McCallum said in his speech to the standing committee on bill C24 that he views 4/6 rule as another obstacle to immigrants. So endorsing this sunny waves approach could lead to more happy naturalized citizens meaning more votes for the LPC at the 2018 elections. That's a win-win situation, but the public has to be vocal about this request for the government to take action. I have personally sent a letter to Hon. john McCallum and I urge everyone to join me because he needs our feedback to reform the CIC operations.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Diplomatru said:
Canada has the highest rate of naturalization in the world. 85% of PRs become citizens. That being said, the processing time has reached 36 months at some point, which is unacceptable by todays standards of service delivery. In Australia and the USA they grant citizenship in 90 days, so I assume that the 4/6 requirement was implemented to let the understaffed CIC clear the applications' inventory, and it sort of helped, as most files are completed in less than 12 months now (which still leaves room for improvement). However, LPC's platform envisioned running deficit budgets for 36 months, consequently they will start hiring new public servants and CIC's expanded workforce will technically allow to decrease the RO back to 3/4 while keeping the backlog low. Hon. John McCallum said in his speech to the standing committee on bill C24 that he views 4/6 rule as another obstacle to immigrants. So endorsing this sunny waves approach could lead to more happy naturalized citizens meaning more votes for the LPC at the 2018 elections. That's a win-win situation, but the public has to be vocal about this request for the government to take action. I have personally sent a letter to Hon. john McCallum and I urge everyone to join me because he needs our feedback to reform the CIC operations.
Our Minister doesn't have time to read email about subjects he know better than you. He's very busy thinking how to bring 25K Syrians in 2 months having the less number of terrorists infiltrated as possible.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neutral said:
Our Minister doesn't have time to read email about subjects he know better than you. He's very busy thinking how to bring 25K Syrians in 2 months having the less number of terrorists infiltrated as possible.
He's an elected official, not a king, so he has an email up and running. Whether he actually opens it and contempleates on the public's opinion is his concern, not yours.

Mehwish9

Star Member
Apr 2, 2009
Chances are bright , if they keep their promises . Justin T seems a nice person and I hope he can keep it up.
hope for the best.

quote author=Hamid khan link=topic=374255.msg4745459#msg4745459 date=1446356502]
Is there any chance new government will reduce citizenship days

I am in Canada as working visa

I depend two years to grand PR

So my two years will not be counted as per nex bill

Is there any chance to change citizenship rule

Thanks
[/quote]

nadeem55

Aug 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
15-04-2011
Nomination.....
????
AOR Received.
25-05-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with the initial application to CIO
File Transfer...
20-06-2011 to Buffalo
Med's Request
22-02-2013 from Ottawa
Med's Done....
27-02-2013
Interview........
Wavied :)
Passport Req..
05-04-2013 via Email
VISA ISSUED...
06 May, 2013
LANDED..........
11 May, 2013 Landed Immigrant :)
Hi,

I'm one of the victim of Conservative Royal rules, if anyone affected with these changes obviously, one day s/he will be Canadian and they are going to lose their last hope too.

To my POV, Liberals are not going to turned down the whole Bill C-24 but probably some of the clauses which are actually pinching thousands of PRs, so according to the JT:

"Canadian citizenship isn’t a gift to be granted or taken away at the whim of a politician. It’s one of the fundamental building blocks of Canada."
JUSTIN TRUDEAU - LEADER, LIBERAL PARTY OF CANADA

What I would expect is to include the pre-PR time spent legally in Canada for example temporary foreign worker and International students which are very helpful for the Canadian economy as they have better sense and experience of Canadian culture than a fresh PR.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nadeem55 said:
Hi,

I'm one of the victim of Conservative Royal rules, if anyone affected with these changes obviously, one day s/he will be Canadian and they are going to lose their last hope too.

To my POV, Liberals are not going to turned down the whole Bill C-24 but probably some of the clauses which are actually pinching thousands of PRs, so according to the JT:

"Canadian citizenship isn’t a gift to be granted or taken away at the whim of a politician. It’s one of the fundamental building blocks of Canada."

What I would expect is to include the pre-PR time spent legally in Canada for example temporary foreign worker and International students which are very helpful for the Canadian economy as they have better sense and experience of Canadian culture than a fresh PR.
Thanks for you great input.

I think it corresponds with what the minister said to Toronto Star:

Our philosophy is we want to welcome people; we want to make it relatively easy to become a citizen; we want to make it relatively fast to become a citizen.
Also the interview mentions that they will amend the Citizenship legislation by "spring, if not sooner". Fingers crossed.
http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/canada/2015/11/10/liberals-turn-attention-to-long-term-refugee-needs.html

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Diplomatru said:
He's an elected official, not a king, so he has an email up and running. Whether he actually opens it and contempleates on the public's opinion is his concern, not yours.
Yeah. he has an email account who is read and filtered by his secretary and assistants. As I repeat, now as a Minister, he doesn't have time for your emails.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nadeem55 said:
Hi,

It's very childish to be kind of an "anti-Conservative" just because they did a law that affect you in getting the citizenship faster, but forgetting also you come to Canada and got your visa during a Conservative government.

Anyway, a Government responsibility is far more complex and important in economic, environmental issues, national defense, education, etc, etc that just some immigration laws.

Finally, if the Liberal gov. changes the law regarding pre-PR time, the change will be done at the time you will meet anyway the new 4 years period.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neutral said:
Yeah. he has an email account who is read and filtered by his secretary and assistants. As I repeat, now as a Minister, he doesn't have time for your emails.
You clearly never worked for government. The staff is there to monitor trends and report to the superior accordingly, because, as you rightly suggested - he has a lot on his plate. If some message goes viral though, they will surely make a note to that (where do you thing the Prepr promiss came from?). Bingo, it was a campaign by public activists who managed to gain support and consequently approach Hon. John McCallum as the LPC immigration critic.

kolkata

Dec 26, 2013
Re: Can Justin Trudeau will reduce citizenship days ( read this guys )

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/minister-immigration-refugees-and-citizenship-mandate-letter

PTJ

Jun 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
...fingers crossed. Let's see what happen around this!

janoo

May 16, 2014
Under the current situation, difficult for reducing the number of days, just recently
Australia increase number of days to become Citizenship..