+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work while waiting for spouse open work permit?

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
I currently hold a study permit valid until Aug 31, 2023. In the meantime, I applied for the spouse open work permit on May 4, 2023, since my partner has a PGWP valid until next year. If I do not receive my SOWP by Aug 31, 2023, can I work after that?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I currently hold a study permit valid until Aug 31, 2023. In the meantime, I applied for the spouse open work permit on May 4, 2023, since my partner has a PGWP valid until next year. If I do not receive my SOWP by Aug 31, 2023, can I work after that?
If you receive your work permit then yes otherwise no since you would be out of status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you been studying full-time? When did your classes finish? You may not be able to work until August 31 either

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
Have you been studying full-time? When did your classes finish? You may not be able to work until August 31 either
I'm studying full-time. I'm in a PhD program, so technically all courses are already finished long time ago, but on the school website it says thesis PhD students are full-time in every semester, until thesis defense.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm studying full-time. I'm in a PhD program, so technically all courses are already finished long time ago, but on the school website it says thesis PhD students are full-time in every semester, until thesis defense.
Have you been working on your thesis and when are you scheduled to graduate? Why would you not apply for PGWP yourself? There are new rules about whether spouses qualify for SOWP because spouses were alternating between studying and working and repeating the cycle.

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
Have you been working on your thesis and when are you scheduled to graduate? Why would you not apply for PGWP yourself? There are new rules about whether spouses qualify for SOWP because spouses were alternating between studying and working and repeating the cycle.
I'm scheduled to graduate between Sep-Dec 2023, but my current study permit will expire on Aug 31. I've started working because of the temporary policy that releases the 20-hour limit on off-campus working. I was not completely sure if I can still work after Aug 31 with my new study permit extension, but after calling IRCC, they say I can.