+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I visit my husband in Canada while waiting for PR or should he come to MEX?

Giselle_Adam

Jan 10, 2010
Hi, Im from Mexico after 1 1/2yr. dating a Canadian in Canada we got married a few months ago in Mexico.
We will be appliying outland soon.

I was planing to go visit him while we wait for the PR but now Im required to have a Visitors visa to enter to Canada, a lawyer told us is better I stay in Mexico and let my husband visit me because my visitors visa was most likely to be denied and we will only waste money on that.

Another lawyer mentioned that once I had send the application I could go visit him and stay there while I get my PR.
We are confused on what to do...I only know that we can not be separate from each other any longer.

Any advise??
1. Should I apply for my visitors visa and go to Canada?? or should he come to Mexico?
2. If so, is there anything specific I should say when applying for the visitors visa? (ie. Im married, waiting for sponsorship)

Thank you

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To go to Canada before your PR, regardless of purpose and for how long, you need a visa (TRV). You can certainly try to apply for it, though it might be tough to get it. Either way it will not affect your PR application.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
The will not issue a visitor visa if they have reason to believe the person doesn't intend to return home after it expires. Since you have a husband in Canada, you would need to show some very convincing ties to Mexico to convince them that you intend to return. So yeah, you will likely not get the visa. But the application is only some $75 and sometimes they do get approved, so it might be worth a shot.

If your husband wishes to come visit you, that's no problem.

Pablojinko

Oct 30, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas, Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2009
Re: Can I visit my husband in Canada while waiting for PR or should he come to M

I can speak for my own experience, and in the case of the Embassy in Caracas, it's the "norm" to denied all TRV apps if there is a Sponsorship app in process, that's what they told my wife the second time she applied for a TRV to come to visit me for the holidays... Apparently that is what all the embassies are "told to do"... but it doesn't hurt to give it a try, it won't have any effect in your sponsorship app

Good luck!!

can_80_n

Star Member
Mar 31, 2009
Quebec, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
14-06-2010
File Transfer...
07-06-2010
Med's Done....
30-09-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-02-2010
Hi,

Is it the same situation if the sponsored person is from the US? I'm a Canadian citizen sponsoring my husband (outland) and right now we both live in the US but there is a chance I would have to move to Canada before his PR comes through so that I can start my small business. Would he be able to visit me in the meantime?

On a similar note, what if he gets the PR very early (you never know!) and we aren't ready to move back just yet. Can he travel to Canada without officially landing? We might have to travel to Canada before actually moving to look for a house etc.

By the way, we haven't applied yet. Waiting for second set of FBI fingerprints to be done since the first set was lost by USPS :mad:. Now the 3 month expiration has passed so the State police checks we got a while back are no longer valid. My husband has to start over. ARgghhh!! Lesson learned: use courier!!

We'll post our timeline as soon as we officially start. Hopefully we will be in the January crowd.

Thanks,
CAN80N

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
US citizens usually don't have too much trouble visiting Canada. His odds would be better if he had with him evidence of something to return to in the US (like a job for example) and proof he's applied for PR.

After he's issued his visa, he will have to land the next time he crosses the border into Canada. After landing, he doesn't have to stay in Canada, he's free to return to the US the next day. All he'll need to provide is an address in Canada where his PR card will be mailed (a relative's address works). If he intends to move anything large (like furniture or electronics), he'll also need a Goods to follow form where he'll list what he will be bringing to Canada at a later date. If he's moving at the time of the landing, those things go on the accompanying goods form.

can_80_n

Star Member
Mar 31, 2009
Quebec, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2010
AOR Received.
14-06-2010
File Transfer...
07-06-2010
Med's Done....
30-09-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-02-2010
Thank you, Mitamata! Sounds like we have some options.