+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use my Ontario Photo ID and OHIP for Personal Identification if I have just moved to another province last week?

LTheanine

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
I am applying for my citizenship online and 2 personal identification are required.

I used to live in Ontario and hence I have an Ontario Photo ID and Ontario health card, on top of the Permanent Residency card.

I just moved to Alberta last week though.

1. Can I still use my Ontario IDs for this purpose?

2. The PR card doesnt have a signature,
however it is listed as a valid ID. On the other hand, the online portal says the ID must have the name, date of birth, signature. So can I or not use it?

Thank you!

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Yes, you can use your valid Ontario DL and OHIP card as IDs. Just write a letter of explanation that you have moved to Alberta for work. If you are there for school, you may continue to use your Ontario DL and OHIP. Alberta gives you a grace period of 90 days to exchanges these and you are within that window

https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-alberta-licences.aspx

Last edited:

LTheanine

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Yes, you can use your valid Ontario DL and OHIP card as IDs. Just write a letter of explanation that you have moved to Alberta for work. If you are there for school, you may continue to use your Ontario DL and OHIP. Alberta gives you a grace period of 90 days to exchanges these and you are within that window

https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-alberta-licences.aspx
Thank you! Yes, my Ontario IDs are not yet expired (expiration date is 2024).

So assuming the following:
1. I submit my application now using my Ontario IDs
2. The review of my application takes more than 90 days

Will I have any problems doing this, since as I understand after 90 days, my Ontario IDs are no longer valid

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Thank you! Yes, my Ontario IDs are not yet expired (expiration date is 2024).

So assuming the following:
1. I submit my application now using my Ontario IDs
2. The review of my application takes more than 90 days

Will I have any problems doing this, since as I understand after 90 days, my Ontario IDs are no longer valid
You are overthinking this... You should be fine! They want to ensure you are who you are. People move within Canada all the time for various reasons and exchanging your DL and Health Cards are standard procedure... No need to delay your Citizenship application if you have 1095 + decent buffer

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012