+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel to India, after receiving Citizenship certificate?

sham_visa

Jun 23, 2015
Today, I lost permanent resident status(of Canada), after completing Oath(today) ceremony for Citizenship of Canada
I migrated from India.
I will receive Citizenship certificate within 2 weeks

Am in Canada.
I need to travel to India in April-2022 for some important event.
I will be back to Canada in Dec-2022.
Am yet to surrender my Indian passport.

1) What could be the approach to plan for a travel to India in April-2022?
2) Is possession of Canadian passport mandatory(and sufficient), before traveling to India in April?
3) Is surrendering of Indian passport mandatory, before traveling to India in April?

Last edited:

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Today, I lost permanent resident status(of Canada), after completing Oath(today) ceremony for Citizenship of Canada
I migrated from India.

Am in Canada.

2) Is possession of Canadian passport mandatory, before traveling to India in April?
3) Is surrendering of Indian passport mandatory, before traveling to India in April?
Once you become a citizen, do not travel on your Indian passport. While you may be able to enter India, exiting will be a problem without your PR card, which you would have destroyed at the Oath. Immigration in Indian airports can be a nightmare to deal with, so you are better off travelling on your Canadian passport with a proper visa.

There are multiple threads here dealing with OCI / Indian visa etc. You may want to follow them.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
I migrated from India.

Am in Canada.

2) Is possession of Canadian passport mandatory, before traveling to India in April?
Congratulations and welcome to our Canadian family.

Approach would be as follows:
0. Wait for Citizenship certificate and apply for a passport.
1. Surrender your passport to CGI Toronto or the jurisdiction that applies to you*.
2. Apply for OCI at CGI Toronto or the jurisdiction that applies to you.
3. If 2. is not possible (as it takes a minimum of 8 weeks), then apply for a visit visa to India once you have your Canadian passport

*Check the jurisdiction here.

Step 1 can be done before you apply for the Canadian passport.
Steps 1 and 2 can be done together, but there are differing opinions on that. Check with the mission that applies to you for confirmation.

Check the other threads on this forum for more details - especially the OCI Process thread.

Reactions: funloving

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
You can't fly back to Canada without a Canadian passport. Though you might be able to enter India on the Indian passport you won't be able to exit without the PR card (there are ways to get around this). Anyway, India is very strict about dual nationality and you shouldn't fuck around with it. Best to apply for a Canadian passport and go on a visa if you don't want to wait for the OCI

sham_visa

Jun 23, 2015
Congratulations and welcome to our Canadian family.

Approach would be as follows:
0. Wait for Citizenship certificate and apply for a passport.
1. Surrender your passport to CGI Toronto or the jurisdiction that applies to you*.
2. Apply for OCI at CGI Toronto or the jurisdiction that applies to you.
3. If 2. is not possible (as it takes a minimum of 8 weeks), then apply for a visit visa to India once you have your Canadian passport

*Check the jurisdiction here.

Step 1 can be done before you apply for the Canadian passport.
Steps 1 and 2 can be done together, but there are differing opinions on that. Check with the mission that applies to you for confirmation.

Check the other threads on this forum for more details - especially the OCI Process thread.
I live in Vancouver

sham_visa

Jun 23, 2015
Once I receive Citizenship certificate.
How much time it takes to get passport? from the day the passport application is received by authority
Can I plan for in-person appointment for passport?

I need to travel in April 1st week

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Once I receive Citizenship certificate.
How much time it takes to get passport? from the day the passport application is received by authority
Can I plan for in-person appointment for passport?

I need to travel in April 1st week
It's 10 business days if you submit your application at a Service Canada passport center, or 20 business days if you submit at any Service Canada center. See here. Urgent services can be availed at an additional cost.

There are restrictions in place for applying in person, but they are wont to change from time to time in the current circumstances. Check how to apply for more details in your area.

sham_visa

Jun 23, 2015
It's 10 business days if you submit your application at a Service Canada passport center, or 20 business days if you submit at any Service Canada center. See here. Urgent services can be availed at an additional cost.

There are restrictions in place for applying in person, but they are wont to change from time to time in the current circumstances. Check how to apply for more details in your area.
To submit in person(to receive in 10 days ), Do I need to take an appointment to visit service canada passport center?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
To submit in person(to receive in 10 days ), Do I need to take an appointment to visit service canada passport center?
Not sure they are taking appointments unless you have proof that you need the passport. As per the link I posted above:

Proof you need the passport can be

• an airline, bus or train ticket
    • If travelling by car, a written statement explaining why you need to travel
  • a travel itinerary showing proof of payment
  • proof of illness or death in the family requiring you to travel
  • a written statement from you or a third party explaining why you need the passport
    • For example, for legal, banking or residency requirements
If we can’t deliver the passport in time to you or your child, we aren’t liable for any losses.

We recommend that you don’t finalize any travel plans until you get your passport.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

sham_visa

Jun 23, 2015
Not sure they are taking appointments unless you have proof that you need the passport. As per the link I posted above:
I think proof of travel is needed only if am traveling by end of next business day

• valid proof of travel showing you’re travelling before the end of the next business day

Last edited: