+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel to a different country?

hope.2019

Feb 2, 2019
Dear all,

I am a Syrian refugee and I got my passport request in order to send it to the embassy so they can stamp the visa on it. They required a plane ticket as well with it.

But I Would like to go to Lebanon for a week in order to see my family one last time for a very long time. Since I cannot apply for a RTD just yet, I will be forced to use my passport to go to Lebanon. So will it be a problem for me If I got my Canadian Visa stamped and then travelled to Lebanon for a week and back to the country I am residing in to continue my trip to Canada?

thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Using your passport is an issue for travel or even applying for one can be problematic. You risk a reavailment finding and the loss of status in Canada if cbsa/IRCC choose to pursue it.

hope.2019

Feb 2, 2019
I traveled to Lebanon last Christmas while waiting for my medical. So i was thinking if my case Right now is the same as my case which was back then in Christmas.
Like, I do not have a PR YET,
and I cannot apply for a RTD YET,
and the passport that I am going to use to reach Canada is going to be my Syrian Passport since I do not have any other choice atm.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Bad plan. Especially if you have done this before. You’re increasing your chances of being found to have reavailed yourself to your home country. Unfortunately as a refugee claimant, refugee or PR who acquired their PR as a refugee, using your home country passport is one of the means by which you can loose your status in Canada. The more often you use it or even renew your passport, you remove the possibility of defending your position of having done so innocently. There is now intent to reavail. Just don’t travel on your Syrian passport.

Reactions: live&love

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
How did the CBSA let you travel to Lebanon with a Syrian passport last Christmas?! How on earth didn't it cross their mind that you'd potentially be crossing the border to Syria? :facepalm:

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
To be honest I don't see any issues with using the Syrian passport. Hope.2019 is not even a PR yet (although he's approved for, but he still haven't landed). I can't see how IRCC can argue this point to be vacation/cessation of refugee status since he doesn't even have refugee status in Canada yet, especially that you travelled before becoming a PR, and you needed to go see your family and did not have any other option but to use your home country's passport since you can't obtain any other travel document in the mean time. I feel that as long as you don't visit your home country (Syria), you should be fine. Yet again this is only my opinion, although it's a good idea to get other people's opinions, I would suggest that you get in touch with a lawyer or with IRCC.
Good Luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This person is being sponsored as a private refugee. Unclear what their status is and if they have ever entered Canada.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
hope.2019 did mention that they just got their passport request for a visa, therefore I don't believe he's been to Canada before (as a refugee). I don't think any prior visits to Canada as a visitor would be relevant. I would like stress one more time that this only my opinion.

Last edited:

hope.2019

Feb 2, 2019
Dear all thank you for your replies.

I am in a third country other than Lebanon or Syria. Not Canada as well definitely.

How did the CBSA let you travel to Lebanon
Dear I had nothing to do with CBSA since I wasn't in Canada and I had no other option but to use my passport.

you should NOT
Do you think that I should never travel until I get in Canada? Keeping in mind I had no Idea when they were going to reply back? With a really solid reason to travel back then.

not even a PR yet
This was the way I was thinking, although all the other members suggested otherwise. Apparenly I was wrong.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all thank you for your replies.

I am in a third country other than Lebanon or Syria. Not Canada as well definitely.

Dear I had nothing to do with CBSA since I wasn't in Canada and I had no other option but to use my passport.

Do you think that I should never travel until I get in Canada? Keeping in mind I had no Idea when they were going to reply back? With a really solid reason to travel back then.

This was the way I was thinking, although all the other members suggested otherwise. Apparenly I was wrong.
You are fine to travel. Imagine you are in Jordan, Turkey, Egypt or one of the Gulf countries. Some do not accept RTD so best to travel before you come to Canada.

hope.2019

Feb 2, 2019
You are fine to travel. Imagine you are in Jordan, Turkey, Egypt or one of the Gulf countries. Some do not accept RTD so best to travel before you come to Canada.
That sounds so comforting. But with all due respect, are you sure about your information? Or are they based on any law or source? Or just common sense? Because that is exactly my case.