+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I submit my CEC application while I wait for the police certificate?

Jan 15, 2014
Hey guys,

I am about to apply for Canadian Experience Class and have all the documentations from the checklist IMM5610E ready but one - the police certificate.
I need to have my fingerprints scanned and apply for a background check to FBI because I lived in states for more than 6 months after my 18th birthday. (I made an appointment at my local police station tomorrow to have my fingerprints scanned and will send it off to the FBI office soon after)
Now, it says the processing time is 14 - 16 weeks for the background check to be done but I am running out of time.

Here is my situation. If I have to wait 14 - 16 weeks before applying for the Canadian Experience Class and the waiting period for the Canadian Experience Class itself is 13 months, my current work permit will be close to the expiration date or will be expired while I wait.
So I really want to apply for this before the end of this month, January.

My question to you guys is, would it be possible to submit my application before I receive the police certificate if I have a letter inside my application saying that I applied for the police certificate and say that it will be available upon request?

Inside the checklist, IMM5610E, checklist #13 says that "the police certificates are generally considered to be valid for one year from date of issue; therefore depending on the processing time of your application, you may be requested to submit new certificates".
If this is true, I wouldn't have a big issue since the police certificate will be valid for one year and I can send it in whenever the CIC requests it.
But on the website, Application for permanent residence — Canadian Experience Class (it won't let me post links here), under Police certificates section, it says "The certificate must have been issued no more than three (3) months prior to submitting your application" . This is where I get confused.

If I submit my Canadian Experience Class application today and send in my police certificate request to FBI tomorrow, can I still use the same police certificate I will receive 14 - 16 weeks later if the CIC request for it, lets say 6 months (for example), after my Canadian Experience Class application?

Please help me!!

Thank you

splendor

Nov 21, 2013
Yes, you can. The only criteria for PCC's is that they should not be issued 3 months prior to the application filing date.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
satisfiedlemon said:
Now, it says the processing time is 14 - 16 weeks for the background check to be done but I am running out of time.

Inside the checklist, IMM5610E, checklist #13 says that "the police certificates are generally considered to be valid for one year from date of issue; therefore depending on the processing time of your application, you may be requested to submit new certificates".
If this is true, I wouldn't have a big issue since the police certificate will be valid for one year and I can send it in whenever the CIC requests it.
But on the website, Application for permanent residence — Canadian Experience Class (it won't let me post links here), under Police certificates section, it says "The certificate must have been issued no more than three (3) months prior to submitting your application" . This is where I get confused.
FBI clearance will take around 6-8 weeks. The 14-16 weeks is more like a buffer time. You can file your CEC application now, and when you get the clearance, you can send it to Ottawa.

More important is to remember the date, your clearance is issued. When they issue it, that clearance will be valid for 3 months only.
For example: If issued on Jan 31st, will expire on April 30th. According to this example, CIC must receive your clearance before April 30th.

grishan1

Sep 5, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2013
AOR Received.
Apr 12, 2013
Med's Request
Dec 7, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Dec 18, 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 24, 2014
If they give you some proof that you requested police certificated (for example, receipt that you paid for it) and will be ready in some time, you can also include it to your package (with cover letter explaining that police certificate will be ready at some time, but now you attach the proof that it in in the process of preparation)

Jan 15, 2014
Thanks for the reply everyone!

I just mailed my FBI background check request to their office and will be mailing my Canadian Experience Class application tomorrow.

I am attaching a letter that says I have applied for the police certificate from the FBI and just said it will be (hopefully) available upon request from CIC.
If the police certificate is only valid for 3 months from the day it was issued, can I send the certificate to CIC office when I receive it in the mail? or do I have to wait until CIC contacts me and ask me for it? I hope my certification doesn't expire while I wait for them to contact me if that is the case :(

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
iamroth said:
More important is to remember the date, your clearance is issued. When they issue it, that clearance will be valid for 3 months only.
For example: If issued on Jan 31st, will expire on April 30th. According to this example, CIC must receive your clearance before April 30th.
Not exactly. The PCC cannot be more than 3 months old at the time you submit your application - your application "lock in" date is the date it is received by CIC. For example, let's say your application is received today by CIC, your PCC cannot have been issued BEFORE October 17. If your PCC is issued any time after October 17, it is good.

The only other criterion - CIC generally considers a PCC to be valid for 1 year from the date of issue (CIC doesn't really care about the length of validity declared by other (foreign) jurisdictions). It is possible that if it takes longer than 1 year to process your application, CIC could request updated PCCs, but that doesn't happen very often...

All of this information is provided by CIC. No need to rely on hearsay.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp