+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I start working after applying for PGWP in implied status

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hi,
The issue is that I have applied for PGWP few days before my study permit expires. Now my study permit is expired along with my SIN so I am in an implied status. I know that CIC says that a person can start working after applying for PGWP as long as he applied before the expiry of his study permit, but my question is can I start working now even with an expired SIN? Thanks.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ezio said:
Hi,
The issue is that I have applied for PGWP few days before my study permit expires. Now my study permit is expired along with my SIN so I am in an implied status. I know that CIC says that a person can start working after applying for PGWP as long as he applied before the expiry of his study permit, but my question is can I start working now even with an expired SIN? Thanks.
Yes you can, however if you are starting a new job your employer may question the SIN being expired.

If you are currently working for an employer, you can direct them to the CRA website for confirmation on implied status and SIN.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-sin.html

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
ozlis said:
Yes you can, however if you are starting a new job your employer may question the SIN being expired.

If you are currently working for an employer, you can direct them to the CRA website for confirmation on implied status and SIN.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-sin.html
Thank you for your explanation. I am not working now but I want to start a new job. I applied for some jobs and I got some calls from employers and they ask if I can work in Canada and if I have a valid SIN. So I want to make sure that I can start working and convince them about that. Or do you believe they will not hire some one with expires SIN?

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It comes down to if they are comfortable bringing you on while implied status. Some companies may have dealt with it before, so may have no issue. Others may want to call CRA/IIRC to confirm the legality of implied status.

Essentially, they are taking the risk of hiring you and then you not having your PGWP approved which will be a bit of a pain for them in training etc. Down to the individual employer and where they stand on it. No harm in applying/asking.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aha I understand now. So in case I could't work now, can I go to my home country for a vacation and then apply for a TRV when I get the PGWP and come back. I am thinking of this option because it seem that the application takes long time and I am sick of waiting and doing nothing.

chris.y

Feb 1, 2017
ezio said:
Aha I understand now. So in case I could't work now, can I go to my home country for a vacation and then apply for a TRV when I get the PGWP and come back. I am thinking of this option because it seem that the application takes long time and I am sick of waiting and doing nothing.
I don't see why not.
Go back home if you want, wait for the approval of your PGWP and come back in Canada.
The only thought I have is, what address did you put on your application?
Because if it is one in Canada, the PGWP will be sent to this address.

I think it will still be okay for you to come back to Canada, even if you don't have physical the PGWP but it was approved.
One day, I crossed to the US and came back in Canada and at the border I did not have my PGWP with me. They looked in file and let me in.
They don't like that though.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
chris.y said:
I don't see why not.
Go back home if you want, wait for the approval of your PGWP and come back in Canada.
The only thought I have is, what address did you put on your application?
Because if it is one in Canada, the PGWP will be sent to this address.

I think it will still be okay for you to come back to Canada, even if you don't have physical the PGWP but it was approved.
One day, I crossed to the US and came back in Canada and at the border I did not have my PGWP with me. They looked in file and let me in.
They don't like that though.
Yes the address is in Canada as I applied in Canada. The thing is my visa is expired so I need to apply for a new TRV once I get the PGWP to be able to travel outside Canada and come back. So my concern is that can I still be able to apply for the TRV from my country and will it be as easy as it is if I applied from Canada?

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
ezio said:
Yes the address is in Canada as I applied in Canada. The thing is my visa is expired so I need to apply for a new TRV once I get the PGWP to be able to travel outside Canada and come back. So my concern is that can I still be able to apply for the TRV from my country and will it be as easy as it is if I applied from Canada?
If I am instead of you, I will not take any risk. I will get it before I travel to outside of Canada.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
krunal2904 said:
If I am instead of you, I will not take any risk. I will get it before I travel to outside of Canada.
Yes I agree with you. But the thing is that I didn't get my PGWP yet and it will take at least 1 month to get it and apply for the TRV and get it, and I don't have a job.

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
28-07-2016; Recvd 12-08-2016
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
ezio said:
Hi,
Implied Status is only applicable to same kind of work permit. Don't take risk.. You will need to files taxes and then it will become a BIG risk for you....

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=188&top=17

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
srm057 said:
Implied Status is only applicable to same kind of work permit. Don't take risk.. You will need to files taxes and then it will become a BIG risk for you....

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=188&top=17
Do you mean it is not applicable to PGWP? because I they didn't mention that in this link.

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
28-07-2016; Recvd 12-08-2016
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
ezio said:
Do you mean it is not applicable to PGWP? because I they didn't mention that in this link.

What I understood form your post that you only had a study permit and you applied for PGWP before it expired. It means that you never had a work permit therefore you will risk yourself if you will start working before you get it.
Implied status would have only applicable if you was extending your study permit to continue your study...which is not the case here

I had a similar situation 4 years ago. I didn't start my work until I got my PGWP.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
srm057 said:
What I understood form your post that you only had a study permit and you applied for PGWP before it expired. It means that you never had a work permit therefore you will risk yourself if you will start working before you get it.
Implied status would have only applicable if you was extending your study permit to continue your study...which is not the case here

I had a similar situation 4 years ago. I didn't start my work until I got my PGWP.
Aha I understand. Thank you for explaining.

shravan95

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Hi everyone,

I applied my PGWP today i.e. 9th September 2020. However, my study permit expires on 30th September 2020. So, technically I am on implied status now (according to the CIC website). So I can work full-time now, right? Even, after my study permit and SIN expires by end of this month.
Kindly guide me.
Thank you