+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my husband?????

bpzasjb

Oct 28, 2014
My Cuban husband is in Miami. He did the wet foot, dry foot. And I'm wondering if I'm able to start the sponsorship application for him to come to Canada before he receives his permanent residency in the US? (Which takes 1 year of him being there)

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
bpzasjb said:
My Cuban husband is in Miami. He did the wet foot, dry foot. And I'm wondering if I'm able to start the sponsorship application for him to come to Canada before he receives his permanent residency in the US? (Which takes 1 year of him being there)
What's "wet foot, dry foot"?? Swimming from Cuba to Miami?

Yes I see no reasons why you can't sponsor him...

bpzasjb

Oct 28, 2014
It is the Cuban Adjustment Act. If they get to Miami without without having their feet wet basically, so by taking a plane, they are allowed to stay.

And ok great thanks, I'm hoping!!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
It may make a difference to where his application for sponsorship is processed. To be processed in the USA, he would have to have at least one year of formal status there, if I have understood the requirements correctly.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp#3999E4
Question 4
Immigration Office requested for the processing of your application

Indicate the name of the Immigration Office which serves:

your country of nationality, or
the country in which you are residing, provided that you have been lawfully admitted to that country for at least one (1) year.
Note: Do not select the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) as the immigration office requested to process your application. Although you may be required to submit your application to the CIO, you must indicate the name of an appropriate visa office using the criteria above.
I'm guessing that it would be a slight problem if he was called to interview in Havana.

Kit-Kat

Nov 14, 2014
In order to be able to sponsor your husband from Miami he would have to be a resident there for a minimum of one year.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I'm confused... on October 28th 2014, the OP started this thread about sponsoring her Cuban HUSBAND who apparently fled Cuba and granted refugee status in the USA via the "wet foot / dry foot" policy.

A few days LATER, on November 5th, 2014, the OP started another thread about looking for places to marry her Cuban BOYFRIEND... IN CUBA!
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/where-to-get-married-in-cuba-t249435.0.html

Huh??

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Either way, I suspect this will be a very long road since the Cuban husband/boyfriend, whatever, has made it quite apparent he will do whatever is necessary to get out of Cuba.

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
next week :)
I'm cuban and I went to Ecuador in 2012,from there I crossed until i arrived in mexico US border and well we cuban dont actually apply for refugee status but for the Cuban Adjustment act...and for the person who said''did he came swimming?'' yes my friend some cubans arrive swimming in miami beach(i tried once) obviously not straight from cuba but when you are close to the beach lol(look up for cuban rafters on google or youtube that will tell you something...)

now,for the person asking,,Your husband has to wait the full year nd 1 day to apply for his Permanent Resident green card(which takes 5 or 6 months) and then he can go to canada no problem without a visa...That would be the best choice since most likely your application will go to Ottawa since HE LIVES IN USA AND is a permanent resident...

Without waiting the full year,CIC will take a long time to process your app because first of all he is not yet a FULL PERMANENT RESIDENT OF USA and if they sent his app to Cuba he will have to go there for the interview(and i dont know how exactly he left so,he might not be allowed to come back) If and only IF he got lucky and CIC sent his app to Ottawa he might either have the interview in LA or just receive the COPR...

Most Cubans go to Miami because thats the best place for cubans to be,,,youre welcomed there,,and you have the biggest community in the world(at least cuban)....Most cubans who married Canadians(in cuba) was only to cross the border Can-USA and go to MIami,,,so CIC might look different at your app since He is already free,,already in USA,,why would he go to canada if he didnt love you? there is nothing for cubans in Canada(and we dont love winter that much lol) again,,Cubans go to Canada to LEAVE TO USA,,not the other way around so,CIC wont scrutinize your ap as if he was in Cuba....

There is still another way for you to bring him right away,,he would be with you in Canada legally in two weeks,,,,tell me if you need more info on this,,I suggest you to tell him to wait until he gets his green card(which i did and now im married, my case was exactly like his,,I waited and then came back to cuba and brought all my wifes family and had the wedding there and now im in canada waiting for the process here)..

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
That's about the best personalized advice I've read all year. Good one!

rose1978

Jan 3, 2016
Hi, I married my Cuban Husband July2015, we seperated for a few months mostly because I was unsure and scared of the outcome. We recently started talking again in December. I found out that he left Cuba and is currently in Costa Rica making his way to the States. I read your forum and was interested in How he could come to Canada legally in two weeks after arriving in the USA.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Well, he can apply for a visitor's visa -- but it is going to be extremely hard for him to be approved, since he will have to show 1) ties to his own country (which sound extremely weak) and 2) that he will leave Canada when his visa expires (difficult, since he's married to you). I suspect that you are going to need expert advice, both for a short-term stay, and then for sponsorship (if that's what you want).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rose1978 said:
Hi, I married my Cuban Husband July2015, we seperated for a few months mostly because I was unsure and scared of the outcome. We recently started talking again in December. I found out that he left Cuba and is currently in Costa Rica making his way to the States. I read your forum and was interested in How he could come to Canada legally in two weeks after arriving in the USA.
I would guess there's practically no chance for your husband to be approved for a visitor visa to Canada.

You can apply for his PR though at anytime using the OUTLAND method. Of course if CIC processes this at the Havana visa office, and they request an interview, he will need to return to Havana for it.

M

mikeymyke

He's got no chance for a visitor visa, and even his spousal PR application will be difficult, as the Cuban husband clearly has no intention of living in Cuba, and has every intention on leaving Cuba, whether to US or Canada, since he has currently fled Cuba.

Sponsor will have to work extra hard to show why he isn't marrying just to immigrate to Canada.