+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I send the citizenship application early?

BOMIDKSI

May 17, 2010
Hi. Just like to get an opinion/idea as regards sending my citizenship application early. I was wondering if it will be alright to file my application around, say 5 months, before I complete my 1095 residency requirements, since it takes around 6 months for CIC to process the application they receive. This way I can save waiting times and can finish the process of getting citizenship early. Any advises? :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BOMIDKSI said:
Hi. Just like to get an opinion/idea as regards sending my citizenship application early. I was wondering if it will be alright to file my application around, say 5 months, before I complete my 1095 residency requirements, since it takes around 6 months for CIC to process the application they receive. This way I can save waiting times and can finish the process of getting citizenship early. Any advises? :)
1. Well the instructions state that you have to have the 3 years residence in the 4 years prior to the date of the application.
2. If you send it in early, it will either be refused when it gets to the judge, and then you start again. But by being earlier will definitely mean you have to see the judge.
3. Should only add about a year to your application, but it is your choice, if you so wish.

BOMIDKSI

May 17, 2010
Thanks!... Aren't I suppose to get a notice after about 6 months telling me that they are starting to process my case and it takes additional few more months to get a schedule for a test, and then you don't need to see the judge if you pass? I guess what I'm trying to say is, by the time they start processing and putting me on schedule for the test, I have already met the 1095 residency requirements. I, of course, have not done this yet so I'm not sure if I'm really clear of my understanding with the process. Am I making any sense? ;D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BOMIDKSI said:
Thanks!... Aren't I suppose to get a notice after about 6 months telling me that they are starting to process my case and it takes additional few more months to get a schedule for a test, and then you don't need to see the judge if you pass? I guess what I'm trying to say is, by the time they start processing and putting me on schedule for the test, I have already met the 1095 residency requirements. I, of course, have not done this yet so I'm not sure if I'm really clear of my understanding with the process. Am I making any sense? ;D
As CIC aren't mindreaders, you could have left Canada the day after you submitted the application. Be smart wait.