+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i seek refund from immigration law firms?

neon08

Feb 9, 2009
I am afraid yet to ask the question from the immigration law firm/lawyer that I hired because I might get turned down... and so I am posting here first to seek opinion from anyone.

Here are the facts:

1) I seek assistance from an immigration law firm/lawyer to help me w/ my immigration process sometime in Sept 2006. Contract was signed and I paid initial down payment amounting to CA$1500.

2) I did not yet submit any of my documents due to a change of mind and informed my lawyer about it with the information that I plan on pursuing my application instead this year of 2009. He replied with "That's fine but if immigration laws change, i will not be responsible".

3) However, upon checking on the CIC website this year in time w/ my plan to pursue application, I have seen that my work experience is not listed among the 38 job listed on site. Meaning, eligibility to apply is now not possible.

Now, I am not sure if I can seek refund from the lawyer whom I paid my initial down payment. :(

I would appreciate anyone's opinion or advise about my situation. Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

neon08 said:
I am afraid yet to ask the question from the immigration law firm/lawyer that I hired because I might get turned down... and so I am posting here first to seek opinion from anyone.

Here are the facts:

1) I seek assistance from an immigration law firm/lawyer to help me w/ my immigration process sometime in Sept 2006. Contract was signed and I paid initial down payment amounting to CA$1500.

2) I did not yet submit any of my documents due to a change of mind and informed my lawyer about it with the information that I plan on pursuing my application instead this year of 2009. He replied with "That's fine but if immigration laws change, i will not be responsible".

3) However, upon checking on the CIC website this year in time w/ my plan to pursue application, I have seen that my work experience is not listed among the 38 job listed on site. Meaning, eligibility to apply is now not possible.

Now, I am not sure if I can seek refund from the lawyer whom I paid my initial down payment. :(

I would appreciate anyone's opinion or advise about my situation. Thanks!
You can ask for the refund, either it will be no or yes, depending on what services s/he provided and what the agreement was.

PMM

hs2501

Star Member
Jan 18, 2009
I think you can assume answer will be "NO", I don't think any firm will refund of money because of changes in law.

jtob

Feb 2, 2009
you must have a written contract with your lawyer, you have the check if there's a condition for refunds.

neon08

Feb 9, 2009
thanks all for your thoughts... i have been in contact with my lawyer via email and he requested me to submit my documents to him.. he said for further review.

Our contract stated that fees are non-refundable :(
from this, i think i already got my answer... well, i just thought that I might have other option to seek at least a refund since no service has been actually rendered yet except that of instructions on what documents to submit (which I have not submitted yet at all at the time of contract)...

I am just concerned now that our contract further states that I shall be "liable to pay all outstanding payments and forfeit any payments made as services have already been rendered"...

Is my submission of documents to him for further review suggest that I will be oblige to pay him my outstanding balance?

Slick

Star Member
Feb 2, 2008
Ask for your money back, he hasn't done anything on your case. You are entitled to your money.
Common sense would be for him to refund you, but knowing lawyers, he'll find a one way argument to keep it.