+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I re enter canada with open work permit n expired trv from usa

CanadaPROne

Mar 9, 2015
1)Can I re enter canada with open work permit n expired trv from usa?
2) if I get passport requests in while when I m in usa then can I send passport from usa ???

Anyone has any experience?

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
1) I do not think you can do it.. u need a valid travel visa to enter Canada.. valid wp doesnt allow re-entry into Canada.
2) You cannot send passport across borders through courier. Unless you send it to Canada by hand through someone and then its couriered to Ottawa thats fine.. but you cannot courier your passport from US to Ottawa.

CanadaPROne said:
2) if I get passport requests in while when I m in usa then can I send passport from usa ???

Anyone has any experience?

CanadaPROne

Mar 9, 2015
Yeah,,, I called to Cic about this information

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Re-entry to Canada with Original Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Generally, a new single-entry Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or a multiple-entry TRV is necessary to re-enter Canada as a visitor, student or worker.

As an exception, you can ask to re-enter Canada with your original TRV, even if it is expired, if:

You will only visit the U.S.* or St. Pierre and Miquelon and will return to Canada before the end of your authorized stay.
An officer will ask you questions to make sure you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to re-enter Canada. If you visit any country other than those listed above, you will need a new TRV.

*Including its Territories and Possessions.

CEC2013RAY

Jul 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2014
Doc's Request.
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Passport Req..
01-03-2016
mesumrizvi said:
1) I do not think you can do it.. u need a valid travel visa to enter Canada.. valid wp doesnt allow re-entry into Canada.
2) You cannot send passport across borders through courier. Unless you send it to Canada by hand through someone and then its couriered to Ottawa thats fine.. but you cannot courier your passport from US to Ottawa.
1) Incorrect information. You can return to Canada with an expired TRV from United States by land as long as your bring valid work permit with you. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16

cecpet

Oct 14, 2014
Yes my experience,

I went USA with expired visa but by land not by plane. I was Ok to re enter in Canada.

Randy_Nik

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Phoenix, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
05-09-2014
Med's Request
13-03-2015
Med's Done....
25-03-2015
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
30-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2015
LANDED..........
09-10-2015
mesumrizvi said:
You cannot send passport across borders through courier. Unless you send it to Canada by hand through someone and then its couriered to Ottawa thats fine.. but you cannot courier your passport from US to Ottawa.
You can send Passports across the border between Canada and the US. I just received my passport today from Ottawa via Canapa Post which I had sent via Fedex last week from USA.

Sending passports outside North America via mail/courier is not allowed and the passport can be confiscated. Even if you are asking someone to carry it on your behalf I think you need a notarized authority letter to be sent along with the Passport.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CanadaPROne said:
1) You can re-enter by land without the TRV.
2) Generally, it's no problem to mail/courier passports, regardless of location. Exception is if your passport is from India - Indian laws apparently make it illegal to mail/ship a passport. There may be other countries as well, but generally it is not a problem.