+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN I PETITION FOR MY DAUGHTER FOR CANADIAN PR WHILE IN THE USA...urgent

jumanji

Feb 8, 2010
Hello All,

I got my PR card in May 2007, then left canada July 2008 for USA... i had a baby in september 2009. I plan to return to canada between sept - dec 2010, When i left Canada i was a greencard holder now am a US citizen. I plan now to return to canada for good. My fiancee will be going together with me but he will be on a student visa. My concern now is my baby, she is an american citizen.

Questions

when entering canada can i use my new US passport that i got whiles i was in USA....it wont have any stamps showing when i left canada or should i use my previous passport?

can i petition for my 5 months old daughter for canadian pr whiles in the USA or should i do that when i get to canada? or should she be added to her dads student visa as dependent?

can i be still allowed to enter canada since i have been out for two and half years?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should probably enter on your previous passport because that's how immigration Canada knows you but I don't think it is important. Your daughter can enter on her US passport. As a PR, you have the right to return to Canada. You are allowed to be outside Canada for up to 3 years total in any 5 year period. Worst case scenario would be that immigration doesn't believe when you left Canada and asks you to prove that you haven't been outside Canada for 3 years but if that happens, they will give you time to do it.

You can not sponsor your daughter from outside Canada. You have to be in Canada to do it. If you and your fiance have been living together for 12 months or more, you can sponsor him for PR as well.

jumanji

Feb 8, 2010
Thanks Leon you response was very lepful...anther question is

should my daughter get a dependent student visa with her dad or should she just go without visa...reason being that i dont want her to overstay as iam not sure how long it will take me to adjust her status

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sponsorship of children is usually fast but yes, you could put her on the student visa with the dad.

jumanji

Feb 8, 2010
Thanks Leon....can i petition to have her status changed as soon as we get to canada even if am not working or i have to wait when i start working?