08-Jul-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
26-Jul-2012
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2012
Please reply.
Me and my wife are PR holders in Canada and living in Canada. My baby girl is a Canadian citizen.
My question is, if i get Canadian Citizenship, can i leave Canada after getting citizenship, for long periods like 5 or 6 years and come back to canada ?
Are there any requirements or restrictions in the citizenship ? Will my citizenship will be valid for ever ??

Thank you,

Alan

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
There are no restrictions.

Unless you are found guilty of terrorism, you citizenship should remain intact for good (at the moment that is) No one knows the future.

Alanraja

May 10, 2012
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Jul-2012
IELTS Request
(Overall 7.0) L 7.0, R 7.5, W 6.5, S 7.0
Med's Done....
08-Jul-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
26-Jul-2012
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2012
Thank you for your quick replies, brothers and sisters.

Alanraja

May 10, 2012
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Jul-2012
IELTS Request
(Overall 7.0) L 7.0, R 7.5, W 6.5, S 7.0
Med's Done....
08-Jul-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
26-Jul-2012
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2012
Sure, will do. Thank you.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
hi there,
my wife will be landing as PR at the end of Sept
I was wondering when can she apply for CDN citizenship? is it after the 2yrs period of conditional PR status?
also is it possible for her to travel to the USA during that 2yrs period?

thanks

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Dko said:
hi there,
my wife will be landing as PR at the end of Sept
I was wondering when can she apply for CDN citizenship? is it after the 2yrs period of conditional PR status?
also is it possible for her to travel to the USA during that 2yrs period?

thanks
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
foodie69 said:
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application.
so she need to be physically in Canada for at least 4yrs before applying for citizenship?
can she travel to USA or China? (she is currently holding a Chinese passport)

thx

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dko said:
so she need to be physically in Canada for at least 4yrs before applying for citizenship?
can she travel to USA or China? (she is currently holding a Chinese passport)

thx
If you sponsored her, she needs to cohabit with you for at least 2 years in order to meet the condition on her PR. During these 2 years, she should live with you although it should be ok for her to take short trips. I would define a short trip as no more than 2-3 weeks. If she starts spending months outside Canada when you are here, then immigration may just say that she has not met her condition.

For citizenship, she needs to have spent 1460 days in Canada which can be achieved in 4 years if she never leaves. If she travels outside Canada, it will push back the date that she can apply. For example, if she visits other countries for a total of one month per year, in 4 years, she will be missing 4 months in Canada to apply so she would not be able to apply until 4 yrs. and 4 months after she landed as PR.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alanraja said:
Please reply.
Me and my wife are PR holders in Canada and living in Canada. My baby girl is a Canadian citizen.
My question is, if i get Canadian Citizenship, can i leave Canada after getting citizenship, for long periods like 5 or 6 years and come back to canada ?
Are there any requirements or restrictions in the citizenship ? Will my citizenship will be valid for ever ??

Thank you,

Alan
The most recent citizenship law has an "intent to reside" attached to it, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#reside which means you must declare that you intend to reside in Canada in the future. Therefore, it would be smarter not to leave as soon as you get citizenship so it doesn't look like that was your plan all along. However, it looks like a new citizenship law will be passed soon and the intent to reside will be taken out again.

Aside from that, you can come and go as you please, you can be outside for 30 or 50 years and then come back if you want to. You would just have to renew your passport.

As for filing taxes, if you cut ties in Canada, sell all your assets in Canada and don't spent more than 183 days per year, you can ask CRA to consider you a non-resident for tax purposes. It will not affect your citizenship.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
h3a3j6 said:
Certainly not. If you are not living in Canada, you are under no obligation to file taxes.
OOW meant to remind the OP to file annual income tax in order to qualify for citizenship.

However you still need to file taxes despite not living in Canada when collecting pensions from Canada while overseas.

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
screech339 said:
OOW meant to remind the OP to file annual income tax in order to qualify for citizenship.

However you still need to file taxes despite not living in Canada when collecting pensions from Canada while overseas.
Agree.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Leon said:
If you sponsored her, she needs to cohabit with you for at least 2 years in order to meet the condition on her PR. During these 2 years, she should live with you although it should be ok for her to take short trips. I would define a short trip as no more than 2-3 weeks. If she starts spending months outside Canada when you are here, then immigration may just say that she has not met her condition.

For citizenship, she needs to have spent 1460 days in Canada which can be achieved in 4 years if she never leaves. If she travels outside Canada, it will push back the date that she can apply. For example, if she visits other countries for a total of one month per year, in 4 years, she will be missing 4 months in Canada to apply so she would not be able to apply until 4 yrs. and 4 months after she landed as PR.
hi Leon
my wife will be officially landing in Edmonton on Sept25th.
If I was to take a week trip to Las Vegas with her say sometime in Feb2017, what travel document will she be using? her Chinese passport?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Dko said:
hi Leon
my wife will be officially landing in Edmonton on Sept25th.
If I was to take a week trip to Las Vegas with her say sometime in Feb2017, what travel document will she be using? her Chinese passport?
What other travel documents does she have?