+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I inland sponsor my spouse while she is in Canada on an ETA?

Rogie

Sep 7, 2018
Hi All,

Thanks again in advance for any help and answers.

It seems the normal way for S. Koreans to visit Canada is with the ETA. My wife has this, as we visited Canada this past summer.

So, if she comes next summer - again, she would come in using the ETA, and then, would it be okay for me to do the inland sponsorship then, while she is in the country on the ETA.

I read somewhere that an ETA was for specific purposes. Does she have to enter under a visitor visa rather than an ETA? I am hoping the ETA (simpler) is the normal procedure.

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
ETA is just the authorization for her to travel to Canada by plane, when she goes through customs in Canada that's when she is given a visitor visa/stamp in her passport which shows how long she is allowed to stay in Canada. These can be extended if necessary. Its definitely possible for her to be sponsored inland, but she has to maintain valid visitor status during the application processing and she cant work unless she applies for the open work permit at the same time.

Rogie

Sep 7, 2018
ETA is just the authorization for her to travel to Canada by plane, when she goes through customs in Canada that's when she is given a visitor visa/stamp in her passport which shows how long she is allowed to stay in Canada. These can be extended if necessary. Its definitely possible for her to be sponsored inland, but she has to maintain valid visitor status during the application processing and she cant work unless she applies for the open work permit at the same time.
Thanks you very much for your answer John. That sounds very good then.

The last 2 times she has been home to Canada with me, they just stamped the date she arrived in her passport, but, there doesn't seem to be any mention anywhere about the length of stay she is allowed; assuming it's the 6 month stay because she is S. Korean.
So, I plan to have all of the papers and forms ready in advance of when we go to Canada (like I'm starting to do them now) and then, we'll have lots of time to make the application. We are planning to go to Canada around the middle of April, so, we'd be able to put the application in the mail quite shortly after we arrive back in Canada - that is our plan for now.

Anyways, thanks so much again.

Reactions: John013

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks you very much for your answer John. That sounds very good then.

The last 2 times she has been home to Canada with me, they just stamped the date she arrived in her passport, but, there doesn't seem to be any mention anywhere about the length of stay she is allowed; assuming it's the 6 month stay because she is S. Korean.
So, I plan to have all of the papers and forms ready in advance of when we go to Canada (like I'm starting to do them now) and then, we'll have lots of time to make the application. We are planning to go to Canada around the middle of April, so, we'd be able to put the application in the mail quite shortly after we arrive back in Canada - that is our plan for now.

Anyways, thanks so much again.
No date = 6 months.

It's good to look at the app, read the forms and start getting proofs sorted. However, note that forms change often and if you use old versions, your app will be returned. You dont want to actually start doing the forms until close to submission.

Rogie

Sep 7, 2018
No date = 6 months.

It's good to look at the app, read the forms and start getting proofs sorted. However, note that forms change often and if you use old versions, your app will be returned. You dont want to actually start doing the forms until close to submission.
Okay, great tip. I WILL still do the forms - save them - and then, when we actually are ready to apply, I will check if there are NEW forms. Just putting all of the information on the forms now - well, it really just relieves my stress a lot. Like the additional family information form for the principal applicant - My spouse (principal applicant) has 2 children and 5 siblings (none of them potential perm. residents at all), so that's a lot of info to enter on that form, and having it done in advance of coming to Canada, having gotten all the information in advance, (even if there is a new form) will really relieve my stress. GREAT TIP - I wondered why there were so many dates on the 'download the application package' forms!!!!

Jiro

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-03-2017
Doc's Request.
17-04-2017
AOR Received.
11-04-2017
Med's Request
26-01-2018
Med's Done....
06-03-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2018
I assume you plan to apply for her Open Work Permit when you submit the inland package? This will give her non-visitor status in Canada which depending on the province you land in, access to health care, driver's license, and a SIN.

Rogie

Sep 7, 2018
I assume you plan to apply for her Open Work Permit when you submit the inland package? This will give her non-visitor status in Canada which depending on the province you land in, access to health care, driver's license, and a SIN.
Thank you very much for your interest.

Actually, we were not thinking about applying for the Open Work Permit. I am 66 years old and my wife is 65 years old. She has not worked in S. Korea for many years; she's really just a homemaker and has some other hobbies like knitting and making arts and crafts. She sometimes talks about how she'd like to work in Canada, but, it's never been on our minds. So, if she couldn't work for however long the process takes to get perm. res., we don't think its any kind of problem. With respect to the Health care - once I apply (we are planning to live in Cranbrook BC) and wait 3 month waiting period, then, I think (not sure) she should (??) be eligible to fall under my health plan and that immigration provides us with a reference number to give to health services. (We both will get good temporary health insurance from Samsung in Korea before we come to Canada) I do not know anything about the SIN number. I assume a SIN number is given or granted somewhere along the process regardless of whether she applies for the OWP or not. On the other hand, if you think applying for the OPW, IN ANY WAY could shorter the overall process, then, yes, we would do that, and if it's a 400 dollars more or whatever, that's not a big problem either.

Also, what is the difference between non-visitor status and visitor status that she gets when entering with an ETA. Is non-visitor status better to have while waiting for the process to complete than regular visitor status? Is it mainly that you get an SIN faster and that helps to speed the process, perhaps, or something else, another benefit, perhaps?

Thanks for your help again.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you very much for your interest.

Actually, we were not thinking about applying for the Open Work Permit. I am 66 years old and my wife is 65 years old. She has not worked in S. Korea for many years; she's really just a homemaker and has some other hobbies like knitting and making arts and crafts. She sometimes talks about how she'd like to work in Canada, but, it's never been on our minds. So, if she couldn't work for however long the process takes to get perm. res., we don't think its any kind of problem. With respect to the Health care - once I apply (we are planning to live in Cranbrook BC) and wait 3 month waiting period, then, I think (not sure) she should (??) be eligible to fall under my health plan and that immigration provides us with a reference number to give to health services. (We both will get good temporary health insurance from Samsung in Korea before we come to Canada) I do not know anything about the SIN number. I assume a SIN number is given or granted somewhere along the process regardless of whether she applies for the OWP or not. On the other hand, if you think applying for the OPW, IN ANY WAY could shorter the overall process, then, yes, we would do that, and if it's a 400 dollars more or whatever, that's not a big problem either.

Also, what is the difference between non-visitor status and visitor status that she gets when entering with an ETA. Is non-visitor status better to have while waiting for the process to complete than regular visitor status? Is it mainly that you get an SIN faster and that helps to speed the process, perhaps, or something else, another benefit, perhaps?

Thanks for your help again.
For BC MSP, IRCC does not provide a reference number. They require proof that the app has been acceped for prcessing. In theory, the wait period for her will start when the app is submitted. In practice, you may have to push MSP to actually get coverage.

She can apply for a SIN if she gets a work permit or when she gets PR. She can't get on while she is a visitor.

Applying for the OWP does not shorten the process in any way.

A temporary resident has status as either a visitor, worker or student. No status is better than the other for the PR app and the processing time is the same regardless.

Reactions: Rogie

Rogie

Sep 7, 2018
For BC MSP, IRCC does not provide a reference number. They require proof that the app has been acceped for prcessing. In theory, the wait period for her will start when the app is submitted. In practice, you may have to push MSP to actually get coverage.

She can apply for a SIN if she gets a work permit or when she gets PR. She can't get on while she is a visitor.

Applying for the OWP does not shorten the process in any way.

A temporary resident has status as either a visitor, worker or student. No status is better than the other for the PR app and the processing time is the same regardless.
Good information and great help.
Thanks so much canuck in uk!

Rogie

Sep 7, 2018
I was wondering about Translated and Notarized documents, such as the marriage certificate and the family relation certificate for my Korean spouse, my Korean spouse (like me) was also married, so we need to include the copy of her divorce as well.

Do these documents also have to be 'Apostilled'. I don't want to make things more difficult, but, I do worry about so many things. On some of the sites, it offers the service of translation, notarization, AND apostilling. So, it made me curious if documents need this 'apostilling' as well.

I don't think it says it in the guide or the complete guide, but, perhaps someone knows with more confidence.

I am little confused, because in the copied text below it says all documents require a certified copy, a translation and an affidavit. Is the certified copy the same as the notarized copy, or is the affidavit the notarization. Sorry for the confusion!

"Use your checklist to make sure you include all the documents you need to submit:
  • For each item on the checklist, choose the situation that applies to you and check the correct box.
  • Only submit documents that apply to your specific situation.
  • Unless stated in your checklist, you must attach the following for any documents that are not in English or French:
    • a certified copy of the original document; and
    • the English or French translation; and
    • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation. "
And, under the 'country specific requirements', it says:

Korea (Republic of) – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If the principal applicant holds a passport from this country, they must submit:
    • A copy and certified translation of the “Family Relation Certificate” issued within six months of the date of application.
    • A copy and a certified translation of your “Marriage Relation Certificate”.

So, I'm confused, especially, about the part of "a copy and certified translation" in the country specific part, and the 'certified copy' part in the general guide.
I know I'm making this harder than it's suppose to be, so sorry.

Last edited:

Jiro

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-03-2017
Doc's Request.
17-04-2017
AOR Received.
11-04-2017
Med's Request
26-01-2018
Med's Done....
06-03-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2018
Also note that if she doesn't apply for the OWP, she will need to continue extending her visitor status as needed..
This is perhaps the most salient part.

Visitor status for South Korean nationals is 6 months. You will have to continuously renew her status to which there could be a chance that it can be denied. Whereas an OWP will give her 2 years or until the end of her passport validity, whichever is shorter. Sure there is the implied status as soon as IRCC receives your application, but if an unfavorable decision comes, you may find yourselves with limited options.

Considering that inland PR's are taking about 12-14 months (range from the tracking sheets), you are looking to renew at least 2-3 times. 6 months goes by quick, and you'd be surprised how many people fall out of status when some paperwork snarls up. We found it a piece of mind to get the OWP just for the sake of ensuring a 2 year period.

Last edited:

Jiro

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-03-2017
Doc's Request.
17-04-2017
AOR Received.
11-04-2017
Med's Request
26-01-2018
Med's Done....
06-03-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2018
So, I'm confused, especially, about the part of "a copy and certified translation" in the country specific part, and the 'certified copy' part in the general guide.
I know I'm making this harder than it's suppose to be, so sorry.
Certified copies are copies of valuable documents (birth certificates, etc) from which a notary public or lawyer certifies that it is a true copy. They'll mark it with a seal or stamp as a certified copy which has their ID.

Copies of certified translations are a two document process. Copy the original foreign language document and get a notary public or lawyer to certify that it is a true copy. Then you get a certified translator to translate that document into English. Submit both the certified copy and the translated document with the translator's affidavit.

Rogie

Sep 7, 2018
This is perhaps the most salient part.

Visitor status for South Korean nationals is 6 months. You will have to continuously renew her status to which there could be a chance that it can be denied. Whereas an OWP will give her 2 years or until the end of her passport validity, whichever is shorter. Sure there is the implied status as soon as IRCC receives your application, but if an unfavorable decision comes, you may find yourselves with limited options.

Considering that inland PR's are taking about 12-14 months (range from the tracking sheets), you are looking to renew at least 2-3 times. 6 months goes by quick, and you'd be surprised how many people fall out of status when some paperwork snarls up. We found it a piece of mind to get the OWP just for the sake of ensuring a 2 year period.
Thank you, this sounds like good advice. We would likely to have to renew 2 times and thus 200 dollars or so, and the OPW is just 400 or 500, so, for the piece of mind and not having to worry about remembering to renew etc etc, that makes a lot of sense.
Also, she has a driver's licence (even though she doesn't drive in Korea), and if she brings an Intnl permit (they only cost about 8 dollars in Korea and are good for 1 year), then, with the OWP, she should be able to exchange for a Cdn driver's license. This isn't a big deal, but, if the intrnl. permit expired after 1 year and she couldn't exchange, she'd (perhaps) have to go through the whole starting over thing in order to get a BC license, which would be an inconvenience.

So, yeah, I think the OWP makes sense and, like you say, relieves a little stress, and anyway to relieve ANY stress is good by the sounds of it.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Thank you, this sounds like good advice. We would likely to have to renew 2 times and thus 200 dollars or so, and the OPW is just 400 or 500, so, for the piece of mind and not having to worry about remembering to renew etc etc, that makes a lot of sense.
Also, she has a driver's licence (even though she doesn't drive in Korea), and if she brings an Intnl permit (they only cost about 8 dollars in Korea and are good for 1 year), then, with the OWP, she should be able to exchange for a Cdn driver's license. This isn't a big deal, but, if the intrnl. permit expired after 1 year and she couldn't exchange, she'd (perhaps) have to go through the whole starting over thing in order to get a BC license, which would be an inconvenience.

So, yeah, I think the OWP makes sense and, like you say, relieves a little stress, and anyway to relieve ANY stress is good by the sounds of it.
The OWP fee is $255 (be careful when paying because it's two separate fees, $155 + $100, and most people mess up by only paying $155).

As for the driver's license, yeah that can be a pain. I'm from the EU and I forgot to look into and get an international license so I had to do it all over again and now I have a learner's, heavily restricted, license after having a full one (my country doesn't even have different stages) for eight years. Which just makes me feel super silly. Getting an international one definitely helps.