+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I import my car to Canada without "sales receipt"?

ianwar

Dec 2, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear friends,

I landed to Canada as PR in Feb 2009. I listed my car in things to follow list. Now I am permanently moving to Canada and want to import my car.

My car is Acura 1997, 3.0 CL. I got it from a friend as a gift (paid a little). I dont have sales receipt.

Refering to www.riv.ca website : "the required documentation is: title documents, registration, sales receipts, statement of compliance label and manufacturer's recall clearance letter."

My question is can I import my car to Canada without "sales receipt"?

Since my car is more than 10 years old and more than 240,000 miles on it will it pass all the tests in Canada (emission test etc)?

A quick response will be appreciated.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
The most important is that you have the original title and recall letter. Sales receipt are more important if you already live in Canada and import a car from US (or any other country) as you would have to pay duty and sales tax. To answer your question: yes you can import without the sales receipt. You will have to take your car to an auto shop for E-test and safety test. Will it pass? If it's in good condition it will pass - if it's not... it won't.

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
If you listed your car as goods to follow, coming from the US, I'm not sure that duty and sales tax apply. You'll want to check that out.