+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get maintained status using my maintained status? (lol)

hbaig27

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
Hey everyone, interesting situation.

I'm currently on maintained status from my expired PGWP. I applied for a Closed WP using my LMIA in January, right before my PGWP was expiring. Now I'm on maintained status while my closed wp is in process and I get the privilege of working anywhere (and for myself/self-employment).

I also just got my ITA and I'm planning to submit ASAP so that I can apply for my BOWP. Now when I submit my BOWP application, I technically get 'maintained status' again, so will it be continuing to maintain my old open work permit status?

The reason i'm asking is that I would much rather have open work permit privileges than be tied to the closed one. So if I get maintained status after BOWP submission AND withdraw the closed WP application, I can continue working openly until bowp is approved? Technically at the time of bowp submission, I don't have that status through a valid permit but I have it through maintained status.

I hope that makes sense, quite a fun thought experiment but this is my situation now lol.

Oct 26, 2023
I am actually in the same situation. I just submitted my PR application, I want to apply for BOWP but I am still waiting for the approval of my employer-specific permit that I applied for end of December. I am in maintained status and very eager to get out of it.

From what I understand there 4 solutions :
1) Apply for BOWP knowing that if first permit gets refused, it will affect the 2nd(source: canada.ca)
2) Contact IRCC to request a change of stream for your pending application. The issue is that, in theory, to approve a BOWP, your PR needs to have passed completeness check (which takes a while). So you might not get your permit before then
3) Contact IRCC to request a change in your pending application and make it open instead based on the fact that you applied for PR
4) Wait for approval of pending application

But I have no idea which one it best...

hbaig27

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
I am actually in the same situation. I just submitted my PR application, I want to apply for BOWP but I am still waiting for the approval of my employer-specific permit that I applied for end of December. I am in maintained status and very eager to get out of it.

From what I understand there 4 solutions :
1) Apply for BOWP knowing that if first permit gets refused, it will affect the 2nd(source: canada.ca)
2) Contact IRCC to request a change of stream for your pending application. The issue is that, in theory, to approve a BOWP, your PR needs to have passed completeness check (which takes a while). So you might not get your permit before then
3) Contact IRCC to request a change in your pending application and make it open instead based on the fact that you applied for PR
4) Wait for approval of pending application

But I have no idea which one it best...
Option 1 is risky because if first permit is refused we would be without status and would have to leave immediately, even if BOWP is in Process right?

Is Option 3 possible? I didn't know that was an option or something that they did but that sounds like the best.

Any update on your Closed Work Permit Application? I applied on Jan 13th and just got my Correspondence letter yesterday indicating that I do not need to submit biometrics as my old ones are valid. Some say that's a sign the decision will come soon.

Oct 26, 2023
Option 1 is risky because if first permit is refused we would be without status and would have to leave immediately, even if BOWP is in Process right?
If I understand correctly, if pending permit A is refused you would have to stop working but you can still stay until pending permit B is approved/denied. But don't take my words for it.

Is Option 3 possible? I didn't know that was an option or something that they did but that sounds like the best.
I had a brief discussion with an immigration lawyer who told me it had been done in the past but it's not really a safe bet.

Any update on your Closed Work Permit Application? I applied on Jan 13th and just got my Correspondence letter yesterday indicating that I do not need to submit biometrics as my old ones are valid. Some say that's a sign the decision will come soon.
None. I got the letter saying I have maintained status and then nothing since early January. It's a work permit under Francophone Mobility so it might take a bit longer I don't know...