+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get a full time Canadian Job, while applying for PR Outland?

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I apply for PR Out-land, I am then able to secure a full time Job here in Canada without messing up my PR application?

I am a US citizen, who married a Canadian (citizen) and am planning to apply for PR Out-land, through Buffalo.
In the mean time I am looking for full time employment here in Canada. I am hoping to get a work permit, either through LMO process or NAFTA agreement, with the proper NOC skills.
If I can get a work permit during this time, will it mess up my PR application?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
No, it won't mess up the PR application. A work permit would be a temporary status document - separate from the PR process. Chances are, though, that you'll be approved for PR via Buffalo before you get all that's involved with obtaining a restricted work permit accomplished.

I

iarblue

Your PR will be done way before a work permit.Then you dont need the work permit.

grettta

Star Member
Feb 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2009
Doc's Request.
12-02-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2010
LANDED..........
22-06-2010
iarblue said:
Your PR will be done way before a work permit.Then you dont need the work permit.
Not sure that I agree on that one. My husband went through the work permit process twice and it was way faster than his outland PR application processing time has been (<3 months vs. almost 5 months now)

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
grettta, I must say I agree. Especially if you don't need a labour market opinion under NAFTA--a temporary restricted work permit CAN actually be pretty quick.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Currently I do not have a work permit, and have been waiting five months for FBI report. The first set of fingerprints was rejected due to "low print quality".... At the current rate I will have been here for over a year without the ability to legally work and support my new family. This is causing huge amount of stress on my new Canadian wife from not working.

I have sent out a number of resumes and my profession is under NAFTA, but my education and 25 years work experience is from the States. Even though I should be able to easily get a work permit under NAFTA I "fear" that I am immediately placed at the bottom of the list as I have not been heard back from any of these jobs....

Any Ideas?

grettta

Star Member
Feb 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2009
Doc's Request.
12-02-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2010
LANDED..........
22-06-2010
sogwap said:
I have sent out a number of resumes and my profession is under NAFTA, but my education and 25 years work experience is from the States. Even though I should be able to easily get a work permit under NAFTA I "fear" that I am immediately placed at the bottom of the list as I have not been heard back from any of these jobs....

Any Ideas?
Are you in Canada currently? If so I suggest you look for networking events in the city you are in. I don't know many people (even Canadians) who have gotten jobs through job search websites, most have found them through contacts/referrals. That's not to say it's impossible, but through networking you'll at least get a chance to explain that it's not overly onerous for an employer to hire a non-PR American.

I

iarblue

In Canada like everywhere else there are agency that help you to find a job,look in the phone book under temp agencies or employment agencies these will help you as they register you for jobs under your skills.Apple One is the biggest i believe.