+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get a BOWP while on a closed WP?

TheMaze

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
I'm currently living and working in Canada on a closed (NAFTA) work permit. The permit has about 2 years left. I just got AoR for my PR today, and I'm wondering if I can apply for a BOWP even though I have more than 4 months remaining, as I do not like my current job and would like to get a new one. I know the documents say you can only do it if you have less than 4 months remaining, but I'm wondering if it may be granted anyway because I've seen others get some flexibility in applying for BOWPs.

If I try anyway and I am denied, does that invalidate my existing (closed) work permit? Or would that permit continue to be in effect until its expiration date?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
TheMaze said:
I'm currently living and working in Canada on a closed (NAFTA) work permit. The permit has about 2 years left. I just got AoR for my PR today, and I'm wondering if I can apply for a BOWP even though I have more than 4 months remaining, as I do not like my current job and would like to get a new one. I know the documents say you can only do it if you have less than 4 months remaining, but I'm wondering if it may be granted anyway because I've seen others get some flexibility in applying for BOWPs.

If I try anyway and I am denied, does that invalidate my existing (closed) work permit? Or would that permit continue to be in effect until its expiration date?
1. Yes, there were few cases when bowp was approved even with more then 4 months left on current closed work permit. You need to demonstrate really strong reason why you need it (I.e. you have been fired from your current job). Any way, if you're going to try it, I suggest you to think about good letter of explanation.
2. If denied, it will not affect your current work permit.

Also why don't you try to get another NAFTA closed wp if you find another job? Afaik it's not like getting LMIA supported wp.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
TheMaze said:

Well, the rule says that at the moment of applying your visa shouldn't be valid longer than 4 months. I would wait until that point.

If you apply and they refuse it it shouldn't affect your current visa.

TheMaze

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
pfse said:
Also why don't you try to get another NAFTA closed wp if you find another job? Afaik it's not like getting LMIA supported wp.
Because my experience hunting for jobs the first time around in Canada indicated that 90% of companies were unwilling to even consider a candidate that needed a NAFTA permit sponsorship - in spite of how easy it is. They were unfamiliar with it and afraid to learn.

Also there's a possibility that my future employer may be US-based, in which case they wouldn't be able to sponsor it.