+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I extend my current closed work permit again?

Otaner

Feb 3, 2017
Hi all,

I already have a closed work permit with my employer for 2 years that is going to expire in September.

Unfortunately, those 2 years were not enough to get our PR, since my wife got pregnant and her medical exams expired 1 week before the supposed date we would get the passport request. Now she can't do the x-ray until the baby is born (August 2nd) and I'm pretty sure that CIC won't finish our application in 1 month.

The thing is, I will have to extend my WP somehow just to be safe. So, my questions are:
  • Can my employer repeat the process again to get me a new closed work permit?
  • Is the process going to be the same or it will be easier since they did that before?
  • Also, do I need a new support letter from the province (the old one had an expiration date in the bottom left)?

Thanks in advance!

choo_i16

Jun 3, 2019
I think repeat the same process with updated documents should be ok. I think better give ircc a call . They know what to tell you.

tuna1994

Aug 20, 2017
yes.as long as company has Lmia for you and that is it(if it is needed for your occupation).you can apply yourself online.they are processing it in one month.or company can help you if they will do paper application...