+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I enter Canada via car and leave via air?

bkbk8

Star Member
Apr 3, 2016
Dallas, Texas
App. Filed.......
28-07-2016
If I enter Canada via land and do a soft landing (from USA to Toronto) stay a couple of days, then take a flight and return home, not the US. Can I use my Visa, as long as it remains valid, to return to Canada via Air without the need of PRTD and without "using" my passport visa?

I want to start the clock on my PR while I am out of the country and possibly return using my immigrant visa as PRTD is taking over 60 days to process at VACs near my country.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If I enter Canada via land and do a soft landing (from USA to Toronto) stay a couple of days, then take a flight and return home, not the US. Can I use my Visa, as long as it remains valid, to return to Canada via Air without the need of PRTD and without "using" my passport visa?

I want to start the clock on my PR while I am out of the country and possibly return using my immigrant visa as PRTD is taking over 60 days to process at VACs near my country.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
You can leave by any means that you desire.
Being able to return by commercial carrier without a PR card or a PRTD is a guessing game. Your IM-1 visa *should* be voided by CBSA when you land. Even if not physically voided, you may not be able to use it for boarding.

Reactions: bkbk8 and bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Pretty sure the IM-1 visa will be voided at the land border.

Not sure why you need to start the clock on your PR while you’re away as OHIP and residency are based on physical presence in Ontario/Canada, unless you mean your time for landing is limited.

Since you do seem to have a US visa, what you can do after activating your PR is enter Canada from the US via land border with your COPR...no need for PRTD or PR card this way.

Anyway, your motives and intentions aren’t too clear to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkbk8

bkbk8

Star Member
Apr 3, 2016
Dallas, Texas
App. Filed.......
28-07-2016
Thank you both @zardoz and @bellaluna

Allow me to clarify, my time for landing is limited and I will need to leave few days after the short landing. I want to return prior to the expiry of my IM-1 visa (thought it may not be voided) but I will be traveling around a bit and was trying to avoid the PRTD route as I am afraid it will not be processed on time for me to return to Canada prior to receiving the PR cards (which I had planned for a friend to mail them to me).

What I meant by "start the clock" was not the days counting towards OHIP and residency, but to have the clock started on the processing of the actual PR cards; should've clarified that earlier; I heard it takes from 2-4 months for the cards to be mailed, isn't that accurate?

Thank you again for your answers!

Reactions: bellaluna

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you both @zardoz and @bellaluna

Allow me to clarify, my time for landing is limited and I will need to leave few days after the short landing. I want to return prior to the expiry of my IM-1 visa (thought it may not be voided) but I will be traveling around a bit and was trying to avoid the PRTD route as I am afraid it will not be processed on time for me to return to Canada prior to receiving the PR cards (which I had planned for a friend to mail them to me).

What I meant by "start the clock" was not the days counting towards OHIP and residency, but to have the clock started on the processing of the actual PR cards; should've clarified that earlier; I heard it takes from 2-4 months for the cards to be mailed, isn't that accurate?

Thank you again for your answers!
PR card processing time is currently reported as 58 days. This assumes that everything is in order (photos being the biggest issue).
You have to assume that the IM-1 will not be available to you after you land. Base all of your planning on that assumption.

Reactions: bkbk8

bkbk8

Star Member
Apr 3, 2016
Dallas, Texas
App. Filed.......
28-07-2016
PR card processing time is currently reported as 58 days. This assumes that everything is in order (photos being the biggest issue).
You have to assume that the IM-1 will not be available to you after you land. Base all of your planning on that assumption.
Thanks for the reply. We decided to proceed with our overseas travels first and then return to Canada to perform the landing and process the paper work while waiting for the PR cards to arrive.
Thanks a lot for your responses!