+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I channge my study program/major? Please answer

Student-of-BC

Mar 17, 2015
I know this question might not be directly related to a visa inquiry, but still, it is an International Student problem.

I applied to a Canadian University as an International Student and got accepted. I already paid the tuition deposit for one semester and received my Letter of Acceptance.

However, I don't want to study the program I applied for. I just realized that...dumb, I know :(

I will start studies in fall...can I write them an email and say that I want to change my major? Is it possible at Canadian Universities to change your program of study/major after acceptance? And what will happen to my tuition deposit? Did I pay it for nothing or will it count for the new program if I can change my study program/major?

I know it all depends on the University, but how is it in general?

Thanks

reallynewbie

Dec 11, 2014
Student-of-BC said:
I know this question might not be directly related to a visa inquiry, but still, it is an International Student problem.

I applied to a Canadian University as an International Student and got accepted. I already paid the tuition deposit for one semester and received my Letter of Acceptance.

However, I don't want to study the program I applied for. I just realized that...dumb, I know :(

I will start studies in fall...can I write them an email and say that I want to change my major? Is it possible at Canadian Universities to change your program of study/major after acceptance? And what will happen to my tuition deposit? Did I pay it for nothing or will it count for the new program if I can change my study program/major?

I know it all depends on the University, but how is it in general?

Thanks
I believe you can change the program. It will be a new admission application but your fee will be counted. Even if you drop your progmram without starting it, you can ask for fee refund. A friend of mine came to canada recently and instead of starting his MS he went for 1yr program and got the full refund of his fee. He came to uni first day and deferred the admission and once his admission was deffered, he applied for refund.

The university I graduated from, was having 2 tpyes of credits, Academic and Financial credits. When I changed my program, I made the request to transfer Academic credits, once done, I made another request to transfer Financial Credit, which got approved too. So nothing got wasted (except time).

Have you got the visa? Which uni you are going into? Which program you want to change to?

--
reallynewbie

Student-of-BC

Mar 17, 2015
Thank you for you answer. However, do I have to re-apply like a normal applicant within the application deadline (even if I am already admitted to this Univeristy)? I think it's already too late to apply for the fall semester :(

Btw, I want to go from Media Studies to Bachelor of Business Administration.

(and no, thankfully I didn't apply for my study permit yet)

reallynewbie

Dec 11, 2014
Student-of-BC said:
Thank you for you answer. However, do I have to re-apply like a normal applicant within the application deadline (even if I am already admitted to this Univeristy)? I think it's already too late to apply for the fall semester :(

Btw, I want to go from Media Studies to Bachelor of Business Administration.

(and no, thankfully I didn't apply for my study permit yet)
When I did reapply, semester was already started. I spoke to the program advisor and he filled the application form and asked me to pay the fee. It was not like normal candidate as university already all of my docs, they only needed the new application form and my admission was done in 4-5 days.

However, my program change was within Engineering Department, so was kind of easy (Transfer of Academic and Financial Credits). I think you should talk to the BBA advisor for the information. I am quite certain that fee should not be the issue but sometime requirement for program change, so to be sure confirm with advisor.

You still missed to name the university you are going into. ;)

--
reallynewbie