+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i change my visit visa to temporary work visa in Canada?

ishtarfil

Sep 15, 2009
I am thinking about taking the CRNE this Feb 2010 through visit visa since I don't have an employer yet, and then try to find an employer after the exams before i go back to my home country and wait for the exam results. I would just like to ask about what i read in nures2canada placement "that in some cases nurses stay back by changing their (short term visit) visas in Canada itself. And they work on Temporary Registration." is that actually possible? please help

pongkay23

Dec 16, 2009
you can apply for a work permit when an employer is willing to sponsor you as a nurse. You can go home to your country and apply for a work permit there or apply within canada. Just make sure you provide sufficient funds and assets when you apply as visitor. Letter to take the crne is not enough to convince the consul. My friend was denied visitor visa even when he provide proof to take the exam.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
ishtarfil said:
I am thinking about taking the CRNE this Feb 2010 through visit visa since I don't have an employer yet, and then try to find an employer after the exams before i go back to my home country and wait for the exam results. I would just like to ask about what i read in nures2canada placement "that in some cases nurses stay back by changing their (short term visit) visas in Canada itself. And they work on Temporary Registration." is that actually possible? please help
You can change your temporary resident status from "visitor" to "worker" while you're in Canada but you have to send your application to a consulate/visa office outside Canada. If you have a US visa then you can send your work permit application to the US (which ever is the closest visa office to where you're going to have the exam in Canada). Then you can just cross the border and attend the interview should there be a need for one. Otherwise, you can find an employer who's willing to hire you and apply from your country of origin.

cutex79

May 26, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
job_seeker said:
You can change your temporary resident status from "visitor" to "worker" while you're in Canada but you have to send your application to a consulate/visa office outside Canada. If you have a US visa then you can send your work permit application to the US (which ever is the closest visa office to where you're going to have the exam in Canada). Then you can just cross the border and attend the interview should there be a need for one. Otherwise, you can find an employer who's willing to hire you and apply from your country of origin.
hi there job_seeker! i have the same situation now with ishtarfil....but now im currently here in canada and i just took the exam. i dont have the US visa, so does it mean that i have to go back to my origin country? am i allowed to get/apply a US visa here in canada while im under TRV? what if i have an employer willing to hire me..how can i change my status? please help me on this...thanks!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
cutex79 said:
hi there job_seeker! i have the same situation now with ishtarfil....but now im currently here in canada and i just took the exam. i dont have the US visa, so does it mean that i have to go back to my origin country? am i allowed to get/apply a US visa here in canada while im under TRV? what if i have an employer willing to hire me..how can i change my status? please help me on this...thanks!
Hi cutex,

There have been members who were able to change their visit status to worker status. They send their initial Work Permit application either to Buffalo or Seattle or other consulate/visa offices in the US, that is for live in care givers who want to be in live in caregiver program. If you're being hired not as a live in caregiver, you can change your status from visitor to worker through CPC-V.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

job_seeker said:
Hi cutex,

There have been members who were able to change their visit status to worker status. They send their initial Work Permit application either to Buffalo or Seattle or other consulate/visa offices in the US, that is for live in care givers who want to be in live in caregiver program. If you're being hired not as a live in caregiver, you can change your status from visitor to worker through CPC-V.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp
A visitor can't change their status in Canada from visitor to worker through Vegreville, they either have to apply at an office outside Canada or a Port of Entry (if they don't require a TRV or medical)

PMM

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

A visitor can't change their status in Canada from visitor to worker through Vegreville, they either have to apply at an office outside Canada or a Port of Entry (if they don't require a TRV or medical)

PMM
Thanks for the clarification, PMM. The guideline is not very clear and since the application form (Imm 1249) has option "C" I just normally assumed it is possible.

So the form to use is not Imm 1249 but Imm 1295 and this must be made at a consulate/visa office outside Canada?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

cutex79

May 26, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
job_seeker said:
Thanks for the clarification, PMM. The guideline is not very clear and since the application form (Imm 1249) has option "C" I just normally assumed it is possible.

So the form to use is not Imm 1249 but Imm 1295 and this must be made at a consulate/visa office outside Canada?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp
thank you guys......so it means that i really have to go back to my home country and no other way that i can change my status....haaaaayyyyy!!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
cutex79 said:
yes i am...what about u?
Opo :). I'll try and search for another forum member's post about her application for LCP, also a Filipino, in Buffalo. Are you applying as a nurse now? The process would be similar except when you are called for an interview. What province are you in right now?

cutex79

May 26, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
job_seeker said:
Opo :). I'll try and search for another forum member's post about her application for LCP, also a Filipino, in Buffalo. Are you applying as a nurse now? The process would be similar except when you are called for an interview. What province are you in right now?
i just send a PM for you..check it out!!! ;)

tawny

Nov 19, 2011
How can i obtain a temporary work visa in Canada as a visitor? Do i need to go back in the Philippines or can i just send my application to Buffalo,Seattle? Please send your reply right away. Thanks

TRUONGAN

Nov 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CIO Received Oct 9 2012
AOR Received.
Nov 26 2012
Med's Request
Nov 29 2012
Med's Done....
December 8 2012
Interview........
In process Feb 12 2013
Passport Req..
March 27 2013
PMM said:
Hi

PMM
I know 2 people who were able to change from visitor to worker status at CPP-V. They did not leave Canada nor apply from abroad!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

TRUONGAN said:
I know 2 people who were able to change from visitor to worker status at CPP-V. They did not leave Canada nor apply from abroad!
If you say so, but the Immigration Act and Regulations say you can't.