+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i apply using my husband's surname?

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
hi everyone,

its me again. i forgot to include this question from my previous post. since I'm the process of completing my requirements in my application, i was just wondering if i could apply using the surname of my husband even if all my documents like passport, pr card, etc still have my maiden name on it? would our marriage certificate from our country (philippines) would be enough proof?or i still need to apply for legal name change?

tnx for all the help guys!

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leuvina nicolas said:
hi everyone,

its me again. i forgot to include this question from my previous post. since I'm the process of completing my requirements in my application, i was just wondering if i could apply using the surname of my husband even if all my documents like passport, pr card, etc still have my maiden name on it? would our marriage certificate from our country (philippines) would be enough proof?or i still need to apply for legal name change?

tnx for all the help guys!
Short answer is; NO.

Before your name got printed on the COPR, you should have changed your name. Now since your COPR has your maiden name, you would need to do a LEGAL CHANGE of NAME in your Province, and send the certificate along with the application otherwise they will only use the name on the COPR.

Hope this helps

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
thank you for your reply ;-)

As i was looking at the form there is a question there if what name would i like to be shown in the certificate, but I'm not sure if marriage certificate would be enough proof. i think i would need to read it again.

thanks again ;-)

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leuvina nicolas said:
thank you for your reply ;-)

As i was looking at the form there is a question there if what name would i like to be shown in the certificate, but I'm not sure if marriage certificate would be enough proof. i think i would need to read it again.

thanks again ;-)
Yes, you can put that there but MOST probably they will not accept it... There is no harm in adding that there... Yes, you could mention that and perhaps include a letter/note of explanation for that... They are NOT bound to do the changes though...

Thanks

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Do you have at least one ID with your husband name (Like your driver license or health card)?
My spouse PRC, COPR and passport had her maiden name... but Driver License and Health Card had spouse last name or surname and CIC did process her request for name change. Her application is still in process... but we can see the name change in eCAS.

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
hi guys tnx for your reply..

unfortunately i still dont have any id or document that shows my husband's surname. after we got married abroad i went back here with him got pregnant, submitted our application for his pr then i gave birth. i was planning to do the legal name change after giving birth but upon realizing and checking the requirements for applying for citizenship and finding out that i am eligible already, i was not able to do the necessary changes anymore for i know it will take a while too.

i guess i would be just pursuing my application using my maiden name and then after everything has been approved like his pr and my citizenship, then thats the time i would do the legal name change.

tnx guys! :)

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
as your all IDs have your maiden name, just use that in order to apply for citizenship.

If your husband has his complete name on marriage certificate (including his surname) and you have your complete name on your marriage certificate (including your maiden surname), you can visit service canada office, drivers license office, health card office to get your last name changed to your husband's surname. I don't think so it will require any legal name change. Once your name on IDs get changed then apply for citizenship.

In canada, a woman can keep her maiden name or husband's last name as per her own discretion. Also if you want hyphenated names means your surname along with your husbands surname, then you might need legal name change done.

By the way what is your province? The legal name change requirements are different from province to province.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
thecoolguysam said:
as your all IDs have your maiden name, just use that in order to apply for citizenship.

If your husband has his complete name on marriage certificate (including his surname) and you have your complete name on your marriage certificate (including your maiden surname), you can visit service canada office, drivers license office, health card office to get your last name changed to your husband's surname. I don't think so it will require any legal name change. Once your name on IDs get changed then apply for citizenship.

In canada, a woman can keep her maiden name or husband's last name as per her own discretion. Also if you want hyphenated names means your surname along with your husbands surname, then you might need legal name change done.

By the way what is your province?
Good point thecoolguysam
"If your husband has his complete name on marriage certificate (including his surname) and you have your complete name on your marriage certificate (including your maiden surname), you can visit service canada office, drivers license office, health card office to get your last name changed to your husband's surname. I don't think it will require any legal name change. Once your name on IDs get changed then apply for citizenship".

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:

By the way what is your province?
That's what I thought, too, coolguy, but I notice this in the Citizenship application instructions:

"Name change

The name on the citizenship certificate will be the same as the one shown on your immigration document unless you provide one of the following documents as proof of a change of name (in addition to or in combination with supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 above).

a copy of a legal change of name document, court order or adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada; or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration or declaration of union, or revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec;"

This suggests that a marriage certificate from the Philippines may not be accepted.

However, I do agree that a LEGAL name change is ordinarily not necessary for a person (woman or man) to take his/her spouse's surname, or even to bear a hyphenated name (at least in Ontario). Things in Quebec are different, though, and everyone keeps their birth name.

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
thank you for all your suggestions guys ;-)

upon reading all your comments/reply somehow i'm not that confused anymore..i was just not sure what to do first but now i would be able to do some steps that would enable me to do what i have to do.. ;)

again, tnx a lot guys!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
leuvina nicolas said:
thank you for all your suggestions guys ;-)

upon reading all your comments/reply somehow i'm not that confused anymore..i was just not sure what to do first but now i would be able to do some steps that would enable me to do what i have to do.. ;)

again, tnx a lot guys!
Please read the following link:

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/live/births-deaths-adoption-and-marriages/preparing-for-and-getting-married/change-your-legal-name

1. When do I not have to contact Vital Statistics at eHealth Saskatchewan?
You do not need to contact us to request a legal name change when you:

Get legally married (if you were born in Canada*)
Get a divorce
Get a legal annulment of marriage
Are widowed
*If you were not born in Canada, you will need to apply for a legal name change to change your landed residency card or citizenship card.

It means you might need legal name change in order to add your husband's surname. However please contact the concerned authority to get exact/correct information. I suppose its Vital Statistics Agency Saskatchewan

Please check the following link:
http://www.ehealthsask.ca/vitalstats/changingname/Pages/default.aspx

The best suggestion to you would be to apply for citizenship with your maiden name (your name currently on all your documents including immigraiton documents)

The legal name change requirements are different from province to province.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Please read the following link:

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/live/births-deaths-adoption-and-marriages/preparing-for-and-getting-married/change-your-legal-name

1. When do I not have to contact Vital Statistics at eHealth Saskatchewan?
You do not need to contact us to request a legal name change when you:

Get legally married (if you were born in Canada*)
Get a divorce
Get a legal annulment of marriage
Are widowed
*If you were not born in Canada, you will need to apply for a legal name change to change your landed residency card or citizenship card.

It means you might need legal name change in order to add your husband's surname. However please contact the concerned authority to get exact/correct information. I suppose its Vital Statistics Agency Saskatchewan

Please check the following link:
http://www.ehealthsask.ca/vitalstats/changingname/Pages/default.aspx

The best suggestion to you would be to apply for citizenship with your maiden name (your name currently on all your documents including immigraiton documents)

The legal name change requirements are different from province to province.

that is what I am meaning here... You would have to go through a legal change of name if you want the name changed... Good news is: You can do this even after you have received your Citizenship Certificate.

Saskatchewan takes usually 2.5 months for the whole legal change of name certificate...

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
that is what I am meaning here... You would have to go through a legal change of name if you want the name changed... Good news is: You can do this even after you have received your Citizenship Certificate.

askatchewan takes usually 2.5 months for the whole legal change of name certificate...
That's correct. However, do keep this in mind: http://passport.gc.ca/info/section5.aspx?lang=eng

Legal name change
Applicants who have had a legal name change must obtain a new birth certificate or citizenship certificate issued in the new name prior to applying for a passport.
The average processing time for a citizenship certificate is 5 months according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp

So, you are looking at approximately 2.5 months (legal name change) + 5 months (new citizenship certificate) = 7.5 months before you can get a passport in the new name.

I'm not necessarily encouraging this but this is something you might want to consider as well: apply for the legal name change now, submit the citizenship application and submit the name change certificate to CIC later. From the guide, it looks like CIC allows name changes after the application has been submitted if it's due to a legal name change:

Important information: Once processing of your application has begun a name change can only be made due to an administrative error made by the Department, a truncated (shortened) name on the immigration document or a legal change of name.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

leuvina nicolas

May 26, 2012
thanks for all the reply guys.

im glad to have known about this forum it is really very informative ;-) somehow i now know where to start or how to go about my application ;)

and hopefully everything turns out okay ;)