+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply PGWP and spousal open work permit TOGETHER?

Nimer1986

Aug 28, 2020
Amazing.... I can't thank you enough for your help.
One last question please.
On what basis did you choose Halifax? or Nova Scotia?
for instance, there are Saskatoon, Manitoba, and Alberta as an alternatives!

this might help me to narrow my options.

Dhairya 11

Oct 10, 2020
Hello

Is it absolutely necessary that you have to submit NOC 0, A or B job pay slips? My spouse has PGWP and we want to apply for SOWP. She has only one pay slip for NOC A job and she is laid off from work due to COVID-19.

So, is it okay if she applies for SOWP with just one pay slip and claim that she can't offer more than one pay slip due to COVID-19?

Or is it okay if she only applies with job offer ( no pay slip)? Please help me.

indopino

Nov 6, 2019
One last question please.
On what basis did you choose Halifax? or Nova Scotia?
for instance, there are Saskatoon, Manitoba, and Alberta as an alternatives!

this might help me to narrow my options.
So sorry, I did not get a notification for your question.

I chose NS because it has AIPP program and NSSWP which are fairly easier that other Provinces and also the job prospects are better in NS.

Cath621

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
Hi all,

Would appreciate your inputs. I'm on a study permit and my husband is on the OPW from my SP. Both our permits expire on Apr. 2021. I'm going to graduate in December 2020 and apply for PGWP. I've got a full-time, 1-year contract job offer in NOC A category with start date in January. As I understand, I can only start working after I have finished my degree and applied for PGWP. So I won't get paystubs from my new employer when I apply.

Meanwhile I've been working on campus as teaching assistant for years and have many paystubs available. So I have 2 questions: 1, Can I apply for my husband's OPW with my job offer and the paystubs from the university? Do they require the job offer and the paystubs from the same employer? 2, If we apply together, preferably in Dec.2020, there is a good chance we can't get approval by Apr. 2021. Is my husband on implied status then? Must he cease working on the expiration date if the new OPW doesn't arrive by then?

Thanks so much.

Last edited:

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi all,

Would appreciate your inputs. I'm on a study permit and my husband is on the OPW from my SP. Both our permits expire on Apr. 2021. I'm going to graduate in December 2020 and apply for PGWP. I've got a full-time, 1-year contract job offer in NOC A category with start date in January. As I understand, I can only start working after I have finished my degree and applied for PGWP. So I won't get paystubs from my new employer when I apply.

Meanwhile I've been working on campus as teaching assistant for years and have many paystubs available. So I have 2 questions: 1, Can I apply for my husband's OPW with my job offer and the paystubs from the university? Do they require the job offer and the paystubs from the same employer? 2, If we apply together, preferably in Dec.2020, there is a good chance we can't get approval by Apr. 2021. Is my husband on implied status then? Must he cease working on the expiration date if the new OPW doesn't arrive by then?

Thanks so much.
You can apply for your pgwp in December after graduation and start the job...for your husband apply for a visitor record until you get pay slips. After you get 3 payslips apply for his work permit and withdraw the previous visitor record for him(if you don't want to withdraw or refund money doesn't matter you can keep it as it is.make sure you request for the same length of stay as yours). Explain to the officer your reason while applying. Same thing we did for our case back in 2018. Jobs as student status doesn't count.

Cath621

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
You can apply for your pgwp in December after graduation and start the job...for your husband apply for a visitor record until you get pay slips. After you get 3 payslips apply for his work permit and withdraw the previous visitor record for him(if you don't want to withdraw or refund money doesn't matter you can keep it as it is.make sure you request for the same length of stay as yours). Explain to the officer your reason while applying. Same thing we did for our case back in 2018. Jobs as student status doesn't count.
Thanks very much!
What you did sounds quite reasonable to me. My only concern is, if we didn't get his new WP by the expiration date of current WP, is he considered in implied status as I am? i.e., can he keep working (for the same employer)? Would appreciate any knowledge on that.

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks very much!
What you did sounds quite reasonable to me. My only concern is, if we didn't get his new WP by the expiration date of current WP, is he considered in implied status as I am? i.e., can he keep working (for the same employer)? Would appreciate any knowledge on that.
As long as he applies for wp extension or visitor record before expiry he will be considered as implied status...but if he can't apply in case before expiry that would be problem..That's why in our case I was in work permit and moved to visitor record as we didn't have any other option to stay with my spouse! Thn after he got his 3 payslips I applied again for wp and looked for another job...in visitor record I couldn't work with the same employer as my status changed...That's the worse case but if you get 3 payslips before his expiry of wp just apply for his wp extension with your pgwp. Bcz for his wp extension with your pgwp application you will need to show 3payslips of your job otherwise they will reject his application..it's so hard to get 3 payslips as your previous work as student status wouldn't count

Pateljp

Nov 11, 2020
Hi
I got a refusal on my open work permit and I have 90 days to restore my status. I’m going to apply for visitor visa...

My last status was PGWP after it expired I have applied for open work permit as a spouse and got refusal letter.

In application there is one question , what is you current immigration status in canada? Options are student, worker, visitor, temporary resident permit holder
Which option should I choose in current immigration status?
I haven’t done biometrics so Do I need biometrics for my visitor visa?

Cath621

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
As long as he applies for wp extension or visitor record before expiry he will be considered as implied status...but if he can't apply in case before expiry that would be problem..That's why in our case I was in work permit and moved to visitor record as we didn't have any other option to stay with my spouse! Thn after he got his 3 payslips I applied again for wp and looked for another job...in visitor record I couldn't work with the same employer as my status changed...That's the worse case but if you get 3 payslips before his expiry of wp just apply for his wp extension with your pgwp. Bcz for his wp extension with your pgwp application you will need to show 3payslips of your job otherwise they will reject his application..it's so hard to get 3 payslips as your previous work as student status wouldn't count
Thanks again! As my new job starts in early Jan and his WP expires in Apr, and the payment goes bi-weekly, I'm pretty sure I can get 3+ payslips before the expiry. My question is that, given the current processing time, he must go into implied status for some time. I understand he can stay in Canada but can he continue to work during the transition between two WPs? I'm pretty sure after applying for PGWP I can work full-time, but maybe not for him.

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks again! As my new job starts in early Jan and his WP expires in Apr, and the payment goes bi-weekly, I'm pretty sure I can get 3+ payslips before the expiry. My question is that, given the current processing time, he must go into implied status for some time. I understand he can stay in Canada but can he continue to work during the transition between two WPs? I'm pretty sure after applying for PGWP I can work full-time, but maybe not for him.
Technically he should bework able to work on his implied status as he applied already.but sin number might not work as sin number will also be expired by that time...so depending on the employer and plz call ircc or comment on Twitter to make sure that can his sin renew automatically after he apply. Thn it should be ok with the employer

Farmir

Jun 6, 2020
Hi all,

Thanks so much.
Hi, you dont have a risky situation so before anything, just relax! You need to wait until you finish the school then you are able to apply for PGWP as soon as you receive a notice from your school, which indicates that you are graduated. After this, your spouse can continue working since he has a valid work permit until April 2020, which means he does not need to apply for visitor visa. On the other hand, you will receive your three biweekly payslips after about a month and a half, lets say in January 2020. So, you are able to apply for spousal work permit extension instantly, based on your letter of employment in NOC A and support it by your three payslips. After you apply, his situation falls under implied status, which means he can still continue working until the decision is made by IRCC, even if his current work permit expires in April 2020 and you have not received his new work permit by that time he is eligible to work legally. Therefore, your situation is completely normal and you have enough time to do the process correctly. I followed all of the above mentioned process for my spouse and me and we are good now. Bear in mind, as long as you do everything legally in Canada, you will not have any problem. Good luck

Cath621

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
Hi, you dont have a risky situation so before anything, just relax! You need to wait until you finish the school then you are able to apply for PGWP as soon as you receive a notice from your school, which indicates that you are graduated. After this, your spouse can continue working since he has a valid work permit until April 2020, which means he does not need to apply for visitor visa. On the other hand, you will receive your three biweekly payslips after about a month and a half, lets say in January 2020. So, you are able to apply for spousal work permit extension instantly, based on your letter of employment in NOC A and support it by your three payslips. After you apply, his situation falls under implied status, which means he can still continue working until the decision is made by IRCC, even if his current work permit expires in April 2020 and you have not received his new work permit by that time he is eligible to work legally. Therefore, your situation is completely normal and you have enough time to do the process correctly. I followed all of the above mentioned process for my spouse and me and we are good now. Bear in mind, as long as you do everything legally in Canada, you will not have any problem. Good luck
Thanks sooo much for these info. That's kind of what I thought. I just wonder, when I apply for his WP after getting my payslips, i probably haven't received my PGWP yet, can I use my application confirmation when they require my status proof?

Farmir

Jun 6, 2020
You probably have your pgwp after you apply for it in 5 days based on current situation. Yes, you will find the processing time too long on ircc website, but I received mine in 5 days after I applied in June. But in the worst situation you have not your permit handy, I think you can still apply for him since you are in implied status( but I am bot 100% sure about this). On the other hand, if you dont have your permit until that time, I can say just dont rush! Your spouse work permit is still valid up to May 2021 you said, which means he can continue working legally. As I told you, based on my experience regarding my process, you dont have a risky situation at all.

Cath621

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
You probably have your pgwp after you apply for it in 5 days based on current situation. Yes, you will find the processing time too long on ircc website, but I received mine in 5 days after I applied in June. But in the worst situation you have not your permit handy, I think you can still apply for him since you are in implied status( but I am bot 100% sure about this). On the other hand, if you dont have your permit until that time, I can say just dont rush! Your spouse work permit is still valid up to May 2021 you said, which means he can continue working legally. As I told you, based on my experience regarding my process, you dont have a risky situation at all.
Wow I think that's really quick! A friend of mine applied in Sept and just got it some days ago; and another friend hasn't received it since applied in Oct. So we think it is around 80-90days. But I do have a good chance to receive it before Apr (finger crossed). Thanks for all your comforting replies!

Imranhumayun

May 7, 2018
Canada
Visa Office......
Lahore
App. Filed.......
27-06-2018
Study Permit expiry: end of March 2021
SOWP expiry : end of march
Kids visa expiry: end of march

Hi,
I recently completed my exams and will get completion letter in january to apply for PGWP. My spouse is on OWP and i wish to extend her OWP with my PGWP. I read at website i cannot extend my spouse OWP unless I received my PGWP along with skill category job, and employer letter, 3 pay stubs etc. My question is that, my PGWP will take around 3 months and in three months my wife OWP will expire. What should i do apply altogether my PGWP and spouse OWP extension ???
or meanwhile i apply for some other visa for my spouse??
I also read somewhere on forum that if i use my part time employer pay stubs whom i worked with during studies and if it is in skilled category will work fine for spouse open work permit extension if we apply together. Looking for some answers please