+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for the PGWP and TRV at the same time?

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hi
I have just lodged my application for PGWP (inside Canada), and I would like to know whether I could also apply for the TRV at the same time? My current study permit is valid until Dec 2023 (more than 1 year).

From the IRCC website, it says:
Temporary resident visas (TRVs) for post-graduation work permit applicants
The following applies to applicants from countries whose nationals require a visa:
  • For post-graduation work permit applications submitted from within Canada, a TRV is not issued upon approval of the application. The applicant must submit a separate TRV application if their TRV has expired, and they would like to travel outside Canada and return.
    Note: Applicants should not apply for a TRV until they have received their post-graduation work permit, as the TRV is issued only for the length of the applicant’s current status document or travel document, whichever has the earlier expiry date.
If my understanding serves me correctly here, the only reason they don't want us to apply BEFORE getting the PGWP is because the TRV will have shorter expiry date which is based on our current status (study permit). In my case, my study permit is valid for another whole year and I'm satisfied with having the TRV for just 1 year.

So, Can I submit the TRV application on top of the PGWP application?

Thanks in advance.

SiRo

May 7, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Hi @utojamepark do you have any update on the above situation? DId you end up applying for the TRV? Did it get accepted?