+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for the FSW program as an independent contractor?

elcholoboritos

Sep 20, 2015
Hello,

This is an issue that has been bugging me for a while. A few months ago, I obtained my PGWP and started working in an art company as an independent contractor. I go to the company whenever I want and make my own hours and send them an invoice. I didn't sign a contract when I got in, so technically I am not an official employee of the company, but I did sign a T4 form with them so with every check I get they take out the taxes for me.

What worries me is that someone told me that people working as independent contractors can't apply for the FSW program. Is this true?

I am kind of confused because my job fits within the NOC skill level A, under the code and name 5136: Painters, sculptors and other visual artists, and on the description for it it states that most of the people with this profession work as "self-employed".

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated. This is a really scary subject and I need clarification from experts on the matter.

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
elcholoboritos said:
Hello,

This is an issue that has been bugging me for a while. A few months ago, I obtained my PGWP and started working in an art company as an independent contractor. I go to the company whenever I want and make my own hours and send them an invoice. I didn't sign a contract when I got in, so technically I am not an official employee of the company, but I did sign a T4 form with them so with every check I get they take out the taxes for me.

What worries me is that someone told me that people working as independent contractors can't apply for the FSW program. Is this true?

I am kind of confused because my job fits within the NOC skill level A, under the code and name 5136: Painters, sculptors and other visual artists, and on the description for it it states that most of the people with this profession work as "self-employed".

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated. This is a really scary subject and I need clarification from experts on the matter.
Hi, what you really need is help in determining how to submit your Express Entry application. Click here to get the help you need, http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-expression-of-interest-b54.0/

elcholoboritos

Sep 20, 2015
Pipis Husband said:
Hi, what you really need is help in determining how to submit your Express Entry application. Click here to get the help you need, http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-expression-of-interest-b54.0/
Thanks for the answer. Maybe what i am trying to specifically know is if a independent contract job can be considered a skilled job.