+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for OHIP or study in University with an expired PR card?

Ghassan.sultan

Star Member
Sep 1, 2011
Yemen
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
IELTS Request
Overall 6/9 (10/16)
File Transfer...
27-07-2011
Med's Request
22/01/2012
Interview........
No
LANDED..........
22-09-2012
Hi All
Can you please help me regarding my inquiries.

I am a PR, but my PR card expiry is 22 Sep 2017 and I still have to study outside Canada in University and I can't permanently reside in Canada until I finish my study in Jun 2017.
My plan is to enter Canada in Aug 2017, by that date I will not met the 2-year requirement for renewal of my PR card (only 5 weeks totally I spent in Canada) which mean I will either wait 2 years till I become eligible for renewal or I will apply on humanitarian and compassionate ( H&C ) grounds as I have Canadian son.
My inquiries are:-
-Can I apply for OHIP with an expired PR card
-Can I apply to study in University with an expired PR card.
-Is "having a Canadian son" have high likelihood to success in applying on humanitarian and compassionate ( H&C ) grounds to renew my PR.

Your help is highly appreciated in advance.

Ghassan.sultan

Star Member
Sep 1, 2011
Yemen
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
IELTS Request
Overall 6/9 (10/16)
File Transfer...
27-07-2011
Med's Request
22/01/2012
Interview........
No
LANDED..........
22-09-2012
I got answer to the 1st Q which is : "Valid Permanent Resident Card or a Permanent Resident Card that has been expired for less than 5 years" (source: http://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/what-documents-do-i-need-to-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/ )

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Ghassan.sultan said:
My plan is to enter Canada in Aug 2017, by that date I will not met the 2-year requirement for renewal of my PR card (only 5 weeks totally I spent in Canada) which mean I will either wait 2 years till I become eligible for renewal or I will apply on humanitarian and compassionate ( H&C ) grounds as I have Canadian son.
My inquiries are:-
-Can I apply for OHIP with an expired PR card
-Can I apply to study in University with an expired PR card.
-Is "having a Canadian son" have high likelihood to success in applying on humanitarian and compassionate ( H&C ) grounds to renew my PR.
You already seem to have found the answer to your first question.

You can apply to Universities with an expired card, but they really do vary in terms of whether they will accept your expired PR card as proof of residency (to obtain the lower tuition rates). Some have in the past, while others haven't. By law, you should be fine but you may want to prepare yourself for some hassle in case it arises.

As for your last query, the answer is clearly NO. Having a Canadian son means nothing in terms of your residency. You could live with your son abroad (as you have been doing for the last 5 years) so there is no real H&C reason for you to have to be in Canada.

Ghassan.sultan

Star Member
Sep 1, 2011
Yemen
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
IELTS Request
Overall 6/9 (10/16)
File Transfer...
27-07-2011
Med's Request
22/01/2012
Interview........
No
LANDED..........
22-09-2012
torontosm said:
You already seem to have found the answer to your first question.

You can apply to Universities with an expired card, but they really do vary in terms of whether they will accept your expired PR card as proof of residency (to obtain the lower tuition rates). Some have in the past, while others haven't. By law, you should be fine but you may want to prepare yourself for some hassle in case it arises.

As for your last query, the answer is clearly NO. Having a Canadian son means nothing in terms of your residency. You could live with your son abroad (as you have been doing for the last 5 years) so there is no real H&C reason for you to have to be in Canada.
Many thanks torontosm, I appreciate your response. It is clear now.