+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can close friend drop off passport application on my behalf?

alexdive

Aug 19, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
oct 23, 2014
LANDED..........
12-01-2012
Wondering if my close friend can drop off passport application on my behalf at passport centre?

I work everyday weekdays and no more vacation leave so I authorized my close friend to drop off the application on my behalf. Any of you has experienced this situation? Please share.

PS I will be traveling abroad in next 2 weeks so mail in app won't work for me. I live 200 kms far away from passport office.

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
alexdive said:
Wondering if my close friend can drop off passport application on my behalf at passport centre?

I work everyday weekdays and no more vacation leave so I authorized my close friend to drop off the application on my behalf. Any of you has experienced this situation? Please share.

PS I will be traveling abroad in next 2 weeks so mail in app won't work for me. I live 200 kms far away from passport office.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/help/apply.asp#submit

Any family member residing at the same address as you can drop it off or a family member at different address with a written statement. According to their website, 'Friend' is not listed in the list of people who can apply on your behalf.

▼ Who can submit a passport application in person on my behalf?

When applying in person, we recommend that you submit your application yourself. However, if this is not possible, the application may be submitted by a third party provided they:
•show identification,
•are 16 years of age or older,
•and are your: ◦parent,
◦child,
◦parent's spouse or common-law partner,
◦child's spouse or common-law partner,
◦brother or sister,
◦half-brother or half-sister,
◦stepbrother or stepsister,
◦spouse or common-law partner,
◦or are relatives of your spouse or common-law partner, including their: ◾parent,
◾child,
◾parent's spouse or common-law partner,
◾child's spouse or common-law partner,
◾brother or sister,
◾half-brother or half-sister,
◾stepbrother or stepsister.

Note: In all cases, the passport official must be able to verify the information on the application with the third party. Should some information on the application require validation, the inability of the third party to validate this information would be cause for refusal.

The people in the list above may or may not reside at the same address as you. In all cases, the person must provide identification. If the identification does not prove that the person lives with you, he or she must also bring a written statement signed by you, authorizing him or her to submit your passport application.

Any relative residing at your address can also submit an application on your behalf provided that they:
•are 16 years of age or older, and
•show identification confirming their place of residence. If the identification shown does not contain an address, further documentation to establish that the person resides at the same address as you will be required.

We do not accept urgent or express applications submitted by a third party.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/help/apply.asp#submit

Any family member residing at the same address as you can drop it off or a family member at different address with a written statement. According to their website, 'Friend' is not listed in the list of people who can apply on your behalf.

▼ Who can submit a passport application in person on my behalf?

When applying in person, we recommend that you submit your application yourself. However, if this is not possible, the application may be submitted by a third party provided they:
•show identification,
•are 16 years of age or older,
•and are your: ◦parent,
◦child,
◦parent's spouse or common-law partner,
◦child's spouse or common-law partner,
◦brother or sister,
◦half-brother or half-sister,
◦stepbrother or stepsister,
◦spouse or common-law partner,
◦or are relatives of your spouse or common-law partner, including their: ◾parent,
◾child,
◾parent's spouse or common-law partner,
◾child's spouse or common-law partner,
◾brother or sister,
◾half-brother or half-sister,
◾stepbrother or stepsister.

Note: In all cases, the passport official must be able to verify the information on the application with the third party. Should some information on the application require validation, the inability of the third party to validate this information would be cause for refusal.

The people in the list above may or may not reside at the same address as you. In all cases, the person must provide identification. If the identification does not prove that the person lives with you, he or she must also bring a written statement signed by you, authorizing him or her to submit your passport application.

Any relative residing at your address can also submit an application on your behalf provided that they:
•are 16 years of age or older, and
•show identification confirming their place of residence. If the identification shown does not contain an address, further documentation to establish that the person resides at the same address as you will be required.

We do not accept urgent or express applications submitted by a third party.
I would be a little wary of this information. In April this year, I stood in the queue since midnight in Mississauga to submit an application for myself and my adult daughter, residing at the same address. In the morning, the security guy told me very clearly that I would not be allowed to submit her application. I had to let a few people pass ahead of me, and called her urgently to come to the centre to submit her application as well.

ryalla

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
I would be a little wary of this information. In April this year, I stood in the queue since midnight in Mississauga to submit an application for myself and my adult daughter, residing at the same address. In the morning, the security guy told me very clearly that I would not be allowed to submit her application. I had to let a few people pass ahead of me, and called her urgently to come to the centre to submit her application as well.
surprising. i submitted passport applications for myself, my spouse and my daughter, my wife and daughter didnt even come. they haven't asked any letter or anything.

Reactions: desmat

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
surprising. i submitted passport applications for myself, my spouse and my daughter, my wife and daughter didnt even come. they haven't asked any letter or anything.
Same with me. I submitted the passport application for myself and my family (spouse and daughter). They just checked if I have all original docs with me for verification. They didn't ask any authorization letter for my spouse. Only one member from the family was allowed to go inside the office. This was mid-September at Brampton Service Canada Passport office.

Reactions: ryalla