+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can anyone assist me in enhancing my Letter of Explanation?

ayylmao

Aug 6, 2017
Hi guys, so, I'm going to apply tomorrow for a study permit. I've written a letter of explanation, but I'm still unsure it's at it's best. Can you guys assist me? Thank you so much for the assistance.

Date: 15/08/2017

To the Embassy of Canada or Visa Officer,

I am writing this to inform you of my reasons of choosing Canada for study, why I chose York as a university and why I chose Computer Science as a major, why I did not choose my country of residence for study, and my future plans, should you need to know about those to issue me a study permit.

When the time has eventually come, I began looking for a country to pursue higher education in. It was a tiring task as I sifted through statistics, opinions and ratings, but my efforts were justified when I concluded. It was Canada that was the best of the options I had. Canada’s universities are one of the best ranking universities in the world, with 4 universities ranking in the Top 100 universities according to ARWU in 2016. Expenses are relatively low in Canada, compared to the United Kingdom and United States, both in education and living. The diversity and multiethnicity of Canada make it an incredibly attractive destination for study. I believe I will benefit greatly from studying in Canada as opposed to studying in Saudi Arabia, primarily because of the experience I will earn that will prepare me for working in an international environment, due to Canada’s diversity and multiethnicity, and the employment prospects I will have once I finish my degree worldwide.

For studying in Canada, I chose York University. York is a reasonable choice considering its close proximity to the place I will reside, and provides excellent facilities which I will benefit from much in my Hons. Computer Science specialization. York’s quality of education is relatively high, with 94% of instructors having the highest qualification in their field. York is highly focused on experiental education, evidenced by its motto: “The Way must be Tried”. This is detrimental to me as having highly qualified professors who provide experience via experiental education coupled with tried and trusted education methods will provide me with plentiful skills which will increase my employment opportunities globally and in Saudi Arabia.

Choosing a degree is just as important as choosing a country or university to study in. I chose Computer Science as my major because it provides excellent employment opportunities worldwide and to convert my passion for computers from a hobby to a career. Almost every industry relies directly or indirectly on the usage of computers, making a person holding a Computer Science degree incredibly sought after by corporations. Jobs in Computer Science are plenty and a very small amount of jobs are fulfilled every year compared to new jobs created yearly. Computer Science degree holders are usually one of the most sought after and one of the highest paid individuals in the modern world. A person holding a Computer Science degree has 9.6 times more jobs than a person without one.

Studying in Saudi Arabia is not as rewarding as in Canada, and there are currently obstacles in my way if I want to pursue higher studies in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabian universities require additional examinations from candidates, such as Quduraat and Tahseeli, effectively prohibiting me from applying to Saudi Arabian universities since I did not obtain those qualifications previously. I already have sufficient qualifications, such as my Grade 12 certificate and IELTS certificate, and studying for Quduraat and Tahseeli will simply be unnecessary since there are so many reputed institutions around the world which are willing to accept a regular Grade 12 Tawjihiyah certificate. Adding to this, a marginal number of Saudi Arabians prefer to pursue higher education outside Saudi Arabia because of the extremely high employment prospects they encounter because they hold an American or Canadian degree, for example, and a higher probability of being accepted in a high paying job when returning to Saudi Arabia.

After concluding my studies in Canada, I will travel back to Saudi Arabia to find a job that utilizes the expertise I earned to support my brothers and parents in regards to their living and/or education expenses. I will be pursuing a Software Applications Development job in the top 10 technology companies in Saudi Arabia, and it will be very apparent that I have a big advantage over other candidates holding a Saudi Arabian degree, for example, because of the very high reputation of Canadian degree holders to employers in Saudi Arabia, which will increase my likelihood of finding a job fast to support my parents and brothers. I will then collect money to buy my brothers and parents a house.

Note: My parents and brothers are going with me to Canada as tourists. University housing is too expensive for what it offers, so I opted to search for an apartment not far away from campus and marginally better. My parents will assist me in finding an apartment for me to live throughout my academic year. They will stay for 3 weeks and return back since my brothers school will start not long after those 3 weeks. I have personally encouraged them to go with me, and after incessant nagging, they finally agreed. I feel I will be able to adapt to my new surroundings faster than I would alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreamy2536

Angel_17

Star Member
Jul 18, 2017
There are quite a lot of statistical info included in your letter which is good I guess. But if I may suggest, try to make it more personal, use more "I" and "my". The visa officer might think you are giving him a generic explanation or one you could've just copied online

ayylmao

Aug 6, 2017
There are quite a lot of statistical info included in your letter which is good I guess. But if I may suggest, try to make it more personal, use more "I" and "my". The visa officer might think you are giving him a generic explanation or one you could've just copied online
I'll see what I can do in regards to this, thanks for the suggestion btw.