+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Alcohol or smoking be a cause of rejection???

mohika1981

Apr 12, 2010
hi
Can Canadian IO rejects application on the basis of Alcohol or smoking after medicals done by DMP ...
thanks

slavasz

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/10/2009
Doc's Request.
18/12/2009
AOR Received.
19/04/2010
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/09/2011
Med's Done....
05-09-2011/
Interview........
waved 19/04/2010
Passport Req..
24/05/2012
VISA ISSUED...
13/07/2012
LANDED..........
29/08/2012
No.

But, giving up smoking would improve quality of your life for sure!

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mohika1981 said:
hi
Can Canadian IO rejects application on the basis of Alcohol or smoking after medicals done by DMP ...
thanks
If they find any disease due to smoking or excess alcohol

cutemedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2010
Peshawar,Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No its not possible,they normally do only chest x-ray which is a very basic test and it cannot detect whose smoking unless smoking has induced specific disease like COPD with bronchitis and emphysema,which usually occurs after many years. It will be good if u visit some good physician and do ur chest x ray and take opinion to see whether u have got some pathology to ease ur heart ! Regarding alcohol its not possible to detect again unless ur physician finds out some specific disease induced by alcohol and if he detects it must be in advance stage with symptoms and disease already know to u. In general it will be good to quit smoking as it can cause cancer of so many organs and alcohol has its own disadvantages !

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mohika1981 said:
hi
thanks
Nope.
If that was the case 1/2 Canadians wouldn't be here.

And

cutemedo said:
No its not possible,they normally do only chest x-ray which is a very basic test and it cannot detect whose smoking unless smoking has induced specific disease like COPD with bronchitis and emphysema,which usually occurs after many years. It will be good if u visit some good physician and do ur chest x ray and take opinion to see whether u have got some pathology to ease ur heart ! Regarding alcohol its not possible to detect again unless ur physician finds out some specific disease induced by alcohol and if he detects it must be in advance stage with symptoms and disease already know to u. In general it will be good to quit smoking as it can cause cancer of so many organs and alcohol has its own disadvantages !
Well said man!

Qorax

rely

Star Member
Mar 3, 2006
India
YES.HE CAN REJECT.
During medical examination DMP ask questions related to your health/medical history.
Out of various questions one question which he asks is do you take alcohol?
You have to reply either YES or NO.
If you say YES then next question will be how much? .
you reply a peg or 2 daily.Next he will ask 1 or 2 pegs?
Say you say 2 daily.
Which he calculates as 14 pegs a week.
If you by mistake say that week ends or sometimes with friends it is more than this, he will note down and mention in this questionnaire and calculate ur liquor consumption for whole month and put it in writing.
This medical report will go to medical section of the visa office and there they will calculate your total liquor consumption and if it exceeds the permissible limit then u are an "alcoholic".Visa officer will refuse you visa by mentioning that you have declared to DMP regarding alcohol so u will be burden on canadian exchequer because you will be required to attend various rehab centres to come out of it.
I have personally read this letter issued by CHC,New Delhi. And really enjoyed reading it because the affected guy was a "Sirdie" who was not actually a drunkard but was trying to ape 'canadian culture" and his perception is canadians drink even during day time.Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Medical officer will also ask a question.Did you ever have an illness like Typhoid?
If you say YES.Guess what happens.This will result in another howler.
Guesses?? I will reply in next post.

mohika1981 said:
hi
thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Shrestha said:
how expensive is liquor and cigarettes in Canada?
Dunhill was AED6.00/pack in Dubai ($1=AED3.55).
Here it is $9.80/pack. Do your maths.

U r permitted to bring in 200 cigs/pax, duty free. If u r a smoker, don't waste that chance.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mirza897 said:
35 Dirhams for a pack!!!! Qorax, you are encouraging me to quit smoking!!!!
Mirza Sahib,

If u can, nothing like it. I couldn't, tried couple of times... But the WILLS power was stronger than the will power. Here, I'm paying thru my nose! Literally!

Qorax

mirza897

Apr 4, 2010
Captain,

1 promise. When I come ( If we get the approval), I will bring a cartoon for you. meanwhile, my sister and her son are coming there mid august. they will land up Alberta but I guess they can courrier it to you from there. If this is possible, it will be my absolute pleasure to send you the brand you smoke, let me know.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mirza897 said:
Captain,

1 promise. When I come ( If we get the approval), I will bring a cartoon for you. meanwhile, my sister and her son are coming there mid august. they will land up Alberta but I guess they can courrier it to you from there. If this is possible, it will be my absolute pleasure to send you the brand you smoke, let me know.
Thanks Sir,

That was a warm gesture. But it's a non-issue now, as I'm already used to the price difference. However, we look forward to your landing... We pray that your case gets sorted out & u do get your share of success.

Best of luck!
Qorax

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
mirza897 said:
Captain,

Qorax, have you tried the patches?

mirza897

Apr 4, 2010
Gee Maaties, I stand corrected :). I quit smoking 14 times :) each time i quit, it just starts harder. Captain, I would love it if you quit, but if you fail to quit by August, I really dont see any reason why I cant send 2 boxes with my Sister and her son. Will ask you 1st week of August if you have quit, if you have terrific. if you havent, 2 boxes are on the way!!