+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a refugee invite his/her family to Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good afternoon,

If the refugee person living in Canada become a Canadian Citizen can invite a family member (sister) to come to Canada?

Before I became Canadian Citizen, I sent an invitation letter to my sister to come to Canada to study English, but it was denied because of my refugee status. Now, it will be different because I am Canadian?
It will likely still be difficult because of how you became a PR. But you can certainly try.

Andrew1990

Mar 23, 2018
Hi everyone,
Need your advice. I was granted as a refugee and got my PR card. I've tried to do a visitor's visa for my mom, but it was declined. Just wanted to know if anyone has had same issues. What options do I have? Should I reapply or is it useless and they gonna decline it anyways because of previous refugee status?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your status (refugee claimant) will likely make it difficult, if not impossible, for your other family member to obtain a visa for Canada. The concern will be that they too will claim refugee status on arrival. Until you gain citizenship, it is unlikely to change.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Can my husband send invitation letter to me while he is protected person waiting for pr in Canada. I am going to leave my son here just to visit husband and come back. Have you ever heard smth like this? Is it worht to try?
You Can certainly apply for a TRV(visitor visa to Canada) but the chances is going to be very law to get approved. He can send you invitation letter. One of my friend was in the same situation like you. He went to a third country to visit his family. Because he went to an Immigration lawyer and the lawyer advised him to go to a third country instead of applying for visitor visa for his wife given that the Chance is gonna be 1 out of 10 because of his Refugee status in Canada. Hope that helps.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Good afternoon,

If the refugee person living in Canada become a Canadian Citizen can invite a family member (sister) to come to Canada?

Before I became Canadian Citizen, I sent an invitation letter to my sister to come to Canada to study English, but it was denied because of my refugee status. Now, it will be different because I am Canadian?
Did CIC mention that in the refusal letter that the visa was refused because of your refugee status?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What about super visa for parents if you were a refugee claimant before? Does it have better chances?
No unfortunately that will also lilely be refused. Since you entered Canada and asked for asylum it will be assumed that any other family member will do the same thing for a significant amount of time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So, it will not work, even after becoming a Canadian citizen?
Yes it may be still quite difficult. It is also dependent on what the situation is in your home country if that is where your family still lives and whether the family member has strong ties to their home country. Also depends on their financial situation, whether they are employed, whether they have property, etc.