+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN A REFUGEE CLAIMANT STUDY IN A CANADIAN UNIVERSITY AND GET STUDENT LOANS

May 16, 2018
Hi guys, I'm an asylum seeker, and I would like to know if I can study at a University here in Canada and pay the Domestic fees as well as get student Loan. A four Years undergraduate Program (BSc) is what I'm looking forward to apply for. Thanks.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hi guys, I'm an asylum seeker, and I would like to know if I can study at a University here in Canada and pay the Domestic fees as well as get student Loan. A four Years undergraduate Program (BSc) is what I'm looking forward to apply for. Thanks.
Paying domestic fees depends on which the university you're applying to. You should probably check the university's website or call them. As for student loans, I don't believe that refugee claimants are eligible for them until your case gets accepted and you become a protected person. Again, check with the university you're applying to, they might be able to help. All the best!

Reactions: istayatalberta
May 16, 2018
Paying domestic fees depends on which the university you're applying to. You should probably check the university's website or call them. As for student loans, I don't believe that refugee claimants are eligible for them until your case gets accepted and you become a protected person. Again, check with the university you're applying to, they might be able to help. All the best!
Thanks a lot for the advice, I should do just that.

szaib002

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
Thanks a lot for the advice, I should do just that.
Hey, you can attend high school while you claim is being processed. But you can get a loan only when your case is accepted. However, the university charges you domestic fee while your case is being processed. Calling the university is probably a better idea.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hey, you can attend high school while you claim is being processed. But you can get a loan only when your case is accepted. However, the university charges you domestic fee while your case is being processed. Calling the university is probably a better idea.
Not all universities treat refugee claimants as domestic students. Some universities treat claimant as International students (tuition wise).

Reactions: visatest

Morale

Apr 6, 2023
In general asylum claimants are treated as international students. Isuslly there is no access to student loans. Without status in Canada there would be concerns about repayment.
Apart from student loans, can they pay domestic fees or do they always have to pay international fees until they get a decision

Here4help

Star Member
Dec 4, 2021
Protected person who is waiting for COPR will be considered as domestic or he has to pay international student fee?

S.Lonzo

Nov 22, 2022
A protected person that has not applied for PR can get a student loan and would pay the local fee with most universities in Ontario from my knowledge of things. It might not be on their website but you can reach out via a phone call or email to the school. You could also visit the school for more information.